RE: [RedHotJazz] What the Papers Say...

    Message 1 of 54 , May 24, 2011
      Howard

      Many thanks. Were there coupons for records ? Received wisdom is that
      shellac had some vital military use which accounts for the shoddy wartime
      pressings USA. This was apparently not so UK ?

      Would you please define for me the distinction between minstrelism -- which
      I can find in no dictionary -- and minstrelsy ?

      Could you also point me at where Larkin champions -- er -- white
      patronage -- is I think what you mean ?

      'Ultimate Harlem plantation' is good, or maybe the absolute ultimate
      plantation was Preservation Hall -- font of the recently discussed and
      recently renamed 'GREAT' P.H.J.B.

      I am pleased to hear that black models preceded the 30s because surely in UK
      of the 20s it was the white models which ruled ?

      'Trad' is a pejorative term only describing the ultimate non-plantation
      stage of the British Revival. I dispute that there was any patronisation by
      any of those involved in either the 'classic' or N.O. Revivals. The black
      models were gods.

    • ROBERT R. CALDER
      Message 54 of 54 , Aug 23 8:37 PM
        Well said, Luis!
        NETIQUETTE, PLEASE, some would-be contributors!!!
        You come here to respond to messages
        NOT TO BURY THEM in copies of the same text
        Please delete the hundreds of lines to which
        you are replying.

        RRC