Re: [RedHotJazz] Georeferencing the Red Hot Jazz Archive

    Message 1 of 8 , May 24, 2011
      -----Message d'origine-----
      From: Andrew Taylor
      Sent: Friday, May 20, 2011 8:34 PM
      To: redhotjazz@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [RedHotJazz] Georeferencing the Red Hot Jazz Archive

      > This is a copy of an email I tried to write Scott Alexander, but his email
      > didn't work.
      > Hopefully Scott participates here, and regardless I'm sure many of you
      > have thought
      > about this stuff and it may interest you.

      Hello Andrew

      Please do not feel offended if your mail received no reply here, I was about
      to send you
      a private one but, since the question is still pending, maybe new members
      need to be informed that the last time we heard of Scott was April 28 2008
      at 4.25 a.m.

      Anyway, you project could only work with a dynamic website using a CMS, and
      the RHJ Archives do not. Plain HTML pages with tables (and framesets for the
      main ones!), not even CSS (you can either grab the source or trust me, I
      filled in some of Scott's templates myself), each and every link typed by
      hand, in other words... no database.
      And on top of that, none of us (794 at this very minute) has the access
      codes to make any change, correction, or addition.

      Patrice
    • Andrew Taylor
      Message 2 of 8 , May 24, 2011
        Thanks Patrice for your response.  I'm sure everyone appreciates Scott's vision and the site he created (with others).  It represents a tremendous body of information even if it is not currently a database  (I'm sure that it has errors but that's to be expected).  Might make an interesting crowdsourcing project at some point, though obviously no one would want to approach it without knowing Scott's status/opinion re:such an effort.
        Things have changed a lot since the Archive was created, and there are so many cool possibilities now technology-wise.  With crowdsourcing, creating/adapting such a resource is possible.  This discussion group may not be the perfect place for this discussion but I think "Red Hot Jazz" is a natural target for historical analysis (I'm sure many of you are scholars, I'm merely an enthusiast).
        I always thought Armstrong, with his constant letter writing and biography writing, would be an interesting target for creating an online map&timeline.  Mentioned it to the Armstrong House and Archive, who knows, might happen someday!
        Regards,
        Andrew

        Andrew Taylor, MLS
        Associate Curator, Visual Resources Center
        713-348-4836

      • Dan Van Landingham
        Message 3 of 8 , May 25, 2011
          What is with the RHJ website any way?I can access it but I get no volume when I
          access any tune.

          Message 4 of 8 , May 26, 2011
            Message 5 of 8 , May 26, 2011
              Yes, I can listen to the songs on Real Player now. However, I still can't record/save them to my library, as I could before. When I try to do this, I get the message 'Record disabled--this clip is not an internet stream.' Any ideas? Jack

              Message 6 of 8 , May 26, 2011
                Message 7 of 8 , May 26, 2011
                  I'll have to go back and check my connections again.Thanks.