Georeferencing the Red Hot Jazz Archive

  • Andrew Taylor
    Message 1 of 8 , May 20 11:34 AM
       This is a copy of an email I tried to write Scott Alexander, but his email didn't work.  Hopefully Scott participates here, and regardless I'm sure many of you have thought about this stuff and it may interest you.
      Regards,
      Andrew Taylor

       Hi Scott,
      I have long been an admirer of the Red Hot Jazz Archive, as a lifelong Armstrong buff.  Recently I've gotten into geospatial technologies, and was wondering if you are moving towards georeferencing the Archive.
      It always bothered me that the Archive specifically didn't have time/space functionality, since it seemed so consistent with the work you've done with your collaborators.

      My proposition/thinking on it is simple, at least I think it is.

      * Take every town referenced in the Archive and geotag it, meaning find GPS coordinates, and include the coordinates as a separate field in your database (later you can be more specific on addresses where possible)
      * Conform the "event times" to whatever format is best for putting them on a timeline and create a field for them.
      * Play around with map and timeline implementation until you find a format that works.  This stuff is getting easier all the time.
      * As I said, I'm fairly new to GIS, but if you wanted to send me the field (column) containing all the locations in the archive I'd be happy to help find the coordinate info them.

      With sincere appreciation to anyone involved in this project,
      Andrew Taylor

      Andrew Taylor, MLS
      Associate Curator, Visual Resources Center
      713-348-4836

      Message 2 of 8 , May 24 12:18 AM
        Message 3 of 8 , May 24 11:11 AM
          Thanks Patrice for your response.  I'm sure everyone appreciates Scott's vision and the site he created (with others).  It represents a tremendous body of information even if it is not currently a database  (I'm sure that it has errors but that's to be expected).  Might make an interesting crowdsourcing project at some point, though obviously no one would want to approach it without knowing Scott's status/opinion re:such an effort.
          Things have changed a lot since the Archive was created, and there are so many cool possibilities now technology-wise.  With crowdsourcing, creating/adapting such a resource is possible.  This discussion group may not be the perfect place for this discussion but I think "Red Hot Jazz" is a natural target for historical analysis (I'm sure many of you are scholars, I'm merely an enthusiast).
          I always thought Armstrong, with his constant letter writing and biography writing, would be an interesting target for creating an online map&timeline.  Mentioned it to the Armstrong House and Archive, who knows, might happen someday!
          Regards,
          Andrew

          Andrew Taylor, MLS
          Associate Curator, Visual Resources Center
          713-348-4836

        • Dan Van Landingham
          Message 4 of 8 , May 25 4:11 PM
            What is with the RHJ website any way?I can access it but I get no volume when I
            access any tune.

            Message 5 of 8 , May 26 12:01 AM
              Message 6 of 8 , May 26 5:27 AM
                Yes, I can listen to the songs on Real Player now. However, I still can't record/save them to my library, as I could before. When I try to do this, I get the message 'Record disabled--this clip is not an internet stream.' Any ideas? Jack

                Message 7 of 8 , May 26 6:19 AM
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 26 1:57 PM
                    I'll have to go back and check my connections again.Thanks.