Re: Early photos of integrated performance?

  • ikey100
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2011
      Not necessarily, although I am indeed the U.S., and the photo that I seek to contextualize is also an American scene with a jazz/dance band orientation. But any information about the topic is welcome; I realize that there are probably relatively few that are earlier than the mid 30's (rather late), but just wondered if there are some examples of which I'm not aware.

      Warren

      > I assume you are only interested in American examples.

    • david richoux
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2011
        I think you may have some problems - especially if you are looking at
        a band from New Orleans - there were so many "Creole" and light
        skinned Black musicians there it could be hard to determine their
        quasi-legal racial status by old photographs alone. Even if you had
        names to go with the faces it could still be tricky.

        Dave Richoux