Re: [RedHotJazz] Early photos of integrated performance?

    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2011
      I assume you are only interested in American examples.

      on 30/04/2011 20:49, ikey100 at wlmoorman3@... wrote:

      > As RHJ includes so much cumulative knowledge about the literature and ephemera
      > of early jazz and other musicmaking, would listmembers kindly share their
      > guidance on what are the earliest photos of racially mixed musical
      > performances? I'm less asking about posed theatrical casts or group photos-of
      > which Polk Miller and the Old South Quartette may be among the
      > earliest-although I welcome information about such as those also. I'm more
      > seeking information about photos of actual performances of a group with
      > clearly varied racial composition, be it in a public or private appearance
      > context, and regardless of whether the performers are known or unknown.
      >
      > I am familiar with most of the standard pictorial references (Driggs' Black
      > Beauty White Heat, Keepnews and Grauer's Pictorial History Of Jazz, etc.) as
      > well as many of the supplementary photos found within other books. But until
      > the advent of swing bands with featured players such as the Goodman and Krupa
      > bands, I cannot really find anything else, be it a studio group or a live
      > appearance.
      >
      > LET ME EMPHASIZE that I am aware of, and for this query believe irrelevant,
      > the sociological background that makes such older photos uncommon. So please
      > keep replies relevant to pictography, and refrain as much as possible from
      > using this query for other discussions. I fully grasp that ethnicity occurs on
      > an infinite spectrum, and that such distinctions as NOLA's
      > uptown/downtown/Creole identities were sometimes a factor. But this post is
      > strictly occasioned by a recent find which I would like to put in some greater
      > apolitical, chronological perspective.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Warren

    • ikey100
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2011
        Not necessarily, although I am indeed the U.S., and the photo that I seek to contextualize is also an American scene with a jazz/dance band orientation. But any information about the topic is welcome; I realize that there are probably relatively few that are earlier than the mid 30's (rather late), but just wondered if there are some examples of which I'm not aware.

        Warren

        > I assume you are only interested in American examples.

      • david richoux
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2011
          I think you may have some problems - especially if you are looking at
          a band from New Orleans - there were so many "Creole" and light
          skinned Black musicians there it could be hard to determine their
          quasi-legal racial status by old photographs alone. Even if you had
          names to go with the faces it could still be tricky.

          Dave Richoux