Sweet Emma

  • Peter L Reid
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 21, 2011
      Hi All,
      Can anybody tell me if the soundtrack of the film "Cincinnati Kid", was
      ever released, specifically the
      minute or so of Preservation Hall with Sweet Emma and Punch Miller
      playing "Gates Blues"
      ("The Rivers In Mourning")? Somewhere I have a list of the rest of the
      band but I can't find it.
      One of my top 10 films. I never tire of seeing New Orleans in the 60's
      or watching poker played as it
      should be. Not this Texas Hold 'em rubbish.

      Peter L.
    • Robert
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 28, 2011
        According to Stagg & Crump's admittedly by now rather aged discography, this track was never issued on disc and I think that's still the case.
        The line-up: Punch Miller trumpet, Paul Crawford trombone, George Lewis clarinet, Emma Barrett piano, Allan Jaffe tuba, Cie Frazier drums.
        Preservation Hall, New Orleans, 1965.
        Robert Greenwood.

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 28, 2011
          The soundtrack album was on MGM but whether it actually includes this seems
          open to interpretation. I guess not. Here¹s how the album appears in Walter
          Bruyninckx¹s current 93 Years of Recorded Jazz at Lalo Schiffrin. The entry
          gives me the profound feeling that no one has ever listened to the record:

          -The Cincinnati Kid- : unknown orchestra with Lalo Schifrin
          (p,arr,comp,cond) Ray Charles (vcl-1) poss incl. George "Kid Sheik" Cola,
          Punch Miller (tp) Jim Robinson (tb) George Lewis (cl) Emanuel Paul (ts)

          Hollywood, Ca., October 27, 1965

          65-XY-94-3 The Cincinnati Kid (inst) MGM E4313, MGM SE4742

          65-XY-95-9 Dialogue in the rain -

          65-XY-96-2 Melba -

          65-XY-97-3 The man -

          65-XY-98-4 Shooter -

          65-XY-99-7 New Orleans procession -

          -6 The Cincinnati Kid (slow version)(unissued)

          -3 So many times (*) -

          -5 The Cincinnati (1,*) - , ABC-Para 45-10720

          The chase -

          At the farm -

          The cock fight -

          All packed -

          The game -

          Note : MGM E4313 = SE4313 = MGM (E)2354 166 = MCA 25012 = (Jap)VDP-5168
          (CD). (*) Both titles on MGM

          K13425.

          on 28/04/2011 09:19, Robert Greenwood at robertgreenwood_54uk@...
          wrote:

          > According to Stagg & Crump's admittedly by now rather aged discography, this
          > track was never issued on disc and I think that's still the case.
          > The line-up: Punch Miller trumpet, Paul Crawford trombone, George Lewis
          > clarinet, Emma Barrett piano, Allan Jaffe tuba, Cie Frazier drums.
          > Preservation Hall, New Orleans, 1965.
          > Robert Greenwood.
          >
          > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,
          > Peter L Reid <reid1947@...> wrote:
          >> >
          >> > Hi All,
          >> > Can anybody tell me if the soundtrack of the film "Cincinnati Kid", was
          >> > ever released, specifically the
          >> > minute or so of Preservation Hall with Sweet Emma and Punch Miller
          >> > playing "Gates Blues"
          >> > ("The Rivers In Mourning")? Somewhere I have a list of the rest of the
          >> > band but I can't find it.
          >> > One of my top 10 films. I never tire of seeing New Orleans in the 60's
          >> > or watching poker played as it
          >> > should be. Not this Texas Hold 'em rubbish.
          >> >
          >> > Peter L.

        • Robert
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 28, 2011
            Thanks for that, Howard. I don't know about you, but somehow I trust Tom & Charlie's entry for this item...

            Robert
          • Ron L'Herault
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 28, 2011
              Ah, that's the movie. A bit before that movie came out, I had just bought
              a tape recorder (I was around 14 at the time) and was taping, via
              microphone, the sound track from a program on Educational TV about New
              Orleans Jazz (wish I could remember the name of the show and its host's
              name). I still have some of that tape - but I digress. Sweet Emma's band
              was on the screen and my dad was, shall we say, amazed, by her appearance.
              He started to remark about it but I quickly shushed him because I was taping
              8-). A few weeks later, he and my mom came home after going to see
              "Cincinnati Kid" and he was all excited to tell me that he'd seen Sweet Emma
              in the film. I remember thinking that he was probably the only one in the
              theater who knew who she was!

              Ron L'Herault

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 28, 2011
                The complete Sweet Emma performance from the film HAS recently been issued on a CD set of Lalo Schifrin's film scores. The set includes the original MGM LP master plus all the music from the original recording sessions for the film. Pricey at $60 - details found here:

                http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/13628/THE-CINCINNATI-KID-LALO-SCHIFRIN-SCORES-VOL-1-1964-1968/

                Dave Weiner

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 29, 2011
                  Ron

                  Nice memoir. Similar scenes in our house with the mike of the Cossor held
                  shakingly before the diminutive speaker of the Bush and the household
                  sushed. The results were indecipherable from butter but it fed the
                  obsession. The tapes are still up under the roof.

                  Hollywood never respected the music. Or are there exceptions ?

                  'Live And Let Die' has footage of Dejan's Olympia and a speaking role for
                  Alvin as an assassin -- I guess because he was somewhat cherubic. But it
                  could anyway be that he was dubbed. The band certainly is with -- it must
                  be -- UK sessionmen.

                  Pinewood didn't respect the music either.

                • reid1947@impulse.net.au
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 29, 2011
                    Thank you to all the members who helped me with my "Cincinatti Kid" dilemma.
                    I have bitten the bullet and purchased the CD mentioned. It worked out to
                    Aust$63.95, including postage. It is a 5 cd set featuring music from 2 other
                    films, which I doubt I will ever listen to, to quote Howard, slightly out of
                    context.
                    Once again thank you all. I will advise at a later date my opinion of the
                    purchase.

                    Peter L.