Re: Sources on Pre War European Jazz

  • Jack
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 20 6:35 AM
      My great-uncle, my father's uncle, Ted Noyes played drums with Specht and also with Specht's subgroup, the Georgians, under Frank Guarente. He also played with the Scanton Sirens, along with the Dorsey brothers, under the leadership of Billy Lustig. There's some evidence that he played with Red Nichols and possibly Miff Mole aw well. I've recently learned that after Ted toured Europe with the Georgians, recording for Kalophon Records in Geneva, Switzerland, in 1926, he played with Enoch Light's Gaumont Palace Orchestra in Paris in 1928 and with Carlo Benzi's La Ambassador's, based in Milan, in 1929 and perhaps later as well. He stayed in Europe for many years; so, there are probably other groups he played with. Anyway, I'm hot on the trail of trying to track it all down.