Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Sources on Pre War European Jazz

  • Dan Van Landingham
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 16, 2011
      I've never heard of Mark Miller.I have owned a couple of 78s on British Decca by
      Harry Roy and Lew Stone(the Lew Stone recordings-"Canadian Capers" and "Tiger
      Rag" were on Ame-
      rican Decca;the Harry Roy recording-"Barrel House Boogie"-was an actual British
      Decca rel-
      ease.I am less familiar with European big bands save those I have of Francis
      Bay's "Bay Big

      Band" issued on the Omega label from around 1962.As I understand it,his band
      played at the

      World's Fair in Brussels,Belguim.I have numerous Bay recreations of hits by
      Harry James,Glenn
      Miller and Artie Shaw.I acquired numerous copies of these albums over the course
      of 30 years.
      Beyond Francis Bay,I know nothing of these other European big bands.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 17, 2011
        Well, if you want to get more into the earlier music, before the 1929 stock market crash, Mark Miller's book is an outstanding source on the history of the groups that brought jazz from America to Europe and elsewhere in the world.

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 19, 2011
          Thanks for the information.I'd like to get some if not all of the titles of his
          books.I do business with
          Amazon.com as well as a couple of book stores here in the Coos Bay-North
          Bend,Oregon area.
          The only author I've ever read on the subject of pre-Depression Era big bands
          was George T. Si-
          mon,who was an acquaintance of mine.I own a mid '40s Decca 78 of "On Moonlight
          Bay" which
          dated(according to Simon)from March of 1937.Simon played drums on that date and
          it was the
          only record date he did.What pre-Depression bands he mentioned were in
          passing.Nothing else

          was said about them.I had some prewar Depression era bands,Ray Miller,Paul
          Specht,Jean Gol-
          dkette,Ace Brigode and Whiteman.These are,of course,Amercan bands.Any other
          information

          will be greatly appreciated.

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 20, 2011
            My great-uncle, my father's uncle, Ted Noyes played drums with Specht and also with Specht's subgroup, the Georgians, under Frank Guarente. He also played with the Scanton Sirens, along with the Dorsey brothers, under the leadership of Billy Lustig. There's some evidence that he played with Red Nichols and possibly Miff Mole aw well. I've recently learned that after Ted toured Europe with the Georgians, recording for Kalophon Records in Geneva, Switzerland, in 1926, he played with Enoch Light's Gaumont Palace Orchestra in Paris in 1928 and with Carlo Benzi's La Ambassador's, based in Milan, in 1929 and perhaps later as well. He stayed in Europe for many years; so, there are probably other groups he played with. Anyway, I'm hot on the trail of trying to track it all down.