Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Sources on Pre War European Jazz

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 16, 2011
      That is good news indeed, It really is not possible to recommend this book
      too strongly!

      on 16/04/2011 14:19, Jack at scara9mouche@... wrote:

      > Correction on the subtitle of that book, obsessive perfectionist that I am:
      >
      > Mark Miller's book called 'Some Hustling This! Taking Jazz to Europe
      > 1914-1929' (not 114-1929)
      >
      > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,
      > "Jack" <scara9mouche@...> wrote:
      >> >
      >> > Rob,
      >> >
      >> > Are you aware of Mark Miller's book called 'Some Hustling This! Taking Jazz
      >> to Europe 114-1929'? For a while, it seemed to be out of print, and it's
      >> cost, as a result, was exorbitant, to say the least; at the instigation of a
      >> friend of mine, Mark Miller got onto his publisher, and it is available once
      >> again for a very reasonable price. You can get through Amazon and perhaps
      >> through other sources as well.
      >> >
      >> > Jack
      >> >
      >> > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,

      >>> of pre-war Jazz, but I'm a relative newcomer to the study of Jazz music.
      >>> Does anyone know of a good guide(s) that would give me a comprehensive
      >>> overview of the history pre-war European Jazz music? My uncle was active in
      >>> the the European Jazz and big band scene in the 1920's and 30's and as I've
      >>> gotten older, I've developed an interest in discovering his history and the
      >>> history of the music and other musicians of the period.

    • Dan Van Landingham
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 16, 2011
        I've never heard of Mark Miller.I have owned a couple of 78s on British Decca by
        Harry Roy and Lew Stone(the Lew Stone recordings-"Canadian Capers" and "Tiger
        Rag" were on Ame-
        rican Decca;the Harry Roy recording-"Barrel House Boogie"-was an actual British
        Decca rel-
        ease.I am less familiar with European big bands save those I have of Francis
        Bay's "Bay Big

        Band" issued on the Omega label from around 1962.As I understand it,his band
        played at the

        World's Fair in Brussels,Belguim.I have numerous Bay recreations of hits by
        Harry James,Glenn
        Miller and Artie Shaw.I acquired numerous copies of these albums over the course
        of 30 years.
        Beyond Francis Bay,I know nothing of these other European big bands.

        ________________________________

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <rbilleaud@...> wrote:

        > I hope you'll excuse my total lack of knowledge concerning finer points of
        >pre-war Jazz, but I'm a relative newcomer to the study of Jazz music. Does
        >anyone know of a good guide(s) that would give me a comprehensive overview of
        >the history pre-war European Jazz music? My uncle was active in the the European
        >Jazz and big band scene in the 1920's and 30's and as I've gotten older, I've
        >developed an interest in discovering his history and the history of the music
        >and other musicians of the period.

      • Jack
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 17, 2011
          Well, if you want to get more into the earlier music, before the 1929 stock market crash, Mark Miller's book is an outstanding source on the history of the groups that brought jazz from America to Europe and elsewhere in the world.

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 19, 2011
            Thanks for the information.I'd like to get some if not all of the titles of his
            books.I do business with
            Amazon.com as well as a couple of book stores here in the Coos Bay-North
            Bend,Oregon area.
            The only author I've ever read on the subject of pre-Depression Era big bands
            was George T. Si-
            mon,who was an acquaintance of mine.I own a mid '40s Decca 78 of "On Moonlight
            Bay" which
            dated(according to Simon)from March of 1937.Simon played drums on that date and
            it was the
            only record date he did.What pre-Depression bands he mentioned were in
            passing.Nothing else

            was said about them.I had some prewar Depression era bands,Ray Miller,Paul
            Specht,Jean Gol-
            dkette,Ace Brigode and Whiteman.These are,of course,Amercan bands.Any other
            information

            will be greatly appreciated.

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 20, 2011
              My great-uncle, my father's uncle, Ted Noyes played drums with Specht and also with Specht's subgroup, the Georgians, under Frank Guarente. He also played with the Scanton Sirens, along with the Dorsey brothers, under the leadership of Billy Lustig. There's some evidence that he played with Red Nichols and possibly Miff Mole aw well. I've recently learned that after Ted toured Europe with the Georgians, recording for Kalophon Records in Geneva, Switzerland, in 1926, he played with Enoch Light's Gaumont Palace Orchestra in Paris in 1928 and with Carlo Benzi's La Ambassador's, based in Milan, in 1929 and perhaps later as well. He stayed in Europe for many years; so, there are probably other groups he played with. Anyway, I'm hot on the trail of trying to track it all down.