Alton Purnell

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 12, 2011
      The BBC has for once broken free of its customary conservatism when it comes to its jazz coverage, and this Saturday's edition of Jazz Library is devoted to recordings featuring Alton Purnell. It's to mark the centenary of his birth. Jazz Library. BBC Radio 3. 4.00pm. Saturday April 16th.

      Robert Greenwood
    • Bob Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 12, 2011
        Dear Robert

        Many thanks for the information about the BBC3: programme about Alton
        Purnell on Saturday.
        I've just done a test and BBC3: comes through loud and clear on the Internet
        here in Northern Norway.
        My interest in Purnell is mainly confined to the Bunk Johnson recordings, so
        I'm looking forward to what I hope will be a broadening of my interest
        within the confines of an hour-long programme.

        Regards

        Bob Smith
      • Brian Wh
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 12, 2011
          Alton Purnell was once featured on Jazz625 in either 1965 or 1966. This was one of the tapes that was lost, the Beeb wiped quite a few. He also visited the UK with the New-Orleans all stars in the sixties

          B. Whaley