Ory in Europe

  • ROBERT R. CALDER
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2011
      Alvin Alcorn was wonderful, but Henry Allen!  The details below might help
      memories which start earlier than mine
      I don't know where the late Angus Calder (no relation) heard the band, but he
      told a story of Allen soloing to such effect Ory walked offstage in some kind of
      response

      RRC

      Kid Ory in Europe-: Alvin Alcorn (tp) Kid Ory (tb,vcl) Phil Gomez (cl) Cedric
      Haywood (p) Julian Davidson (g) Wellman Braud (b) Kansas Fields (d) Concert,
      "Théâtre des Champs-Elysées", Paris, December 5, 1956

      Tiger rag Verve (Du)EPV5073, (G)EPV7001, (Swd) V2028
      Memphis blues Verve (Du)EPV5073, (Swd)V2028
      Dippermouth blues -, (G)EPV7002, (Swd) V2029
      Four or five times (ko vcl) Verve (G)EPV7000, (Swd)V2029
      South (G)EPV7001, (Swd)V2030
      Washington and Lee swing (G)EPV7000,
      Down in jungle town (G)EPV7001, (Swd)V2031
      Basin Street blues (Du)EPV5073, (G)EPV7002, (Swd) V2031
      -Live in England, 1959-: Kid Ory's Creole Band feat. Red Allen : Henry "Red"
      Allen (tp,vcl) Edward "Kid"

      Ory (tb,vcl) Bob McCracken (cl) Cedric Haywood (p) Frank Haggerty (g) Squire
      Gersh (b) Alton Redd (d,vcl)

      Manchester, October 24, 1959
      Original dixieland one-step Queen Disc (It)Q-052
      I wish I was in Peoria
      Careless love (ar vcl)
      Won't you come home Bill Bailey (ko vcl) -
      St. James infirmary Rarities RA60
      That's a plenty
      -Kid Ory's Creole Jazzband-: same pers Broadcast, "Liederhalle", Basel, November
      9, 1959
      I wish I was in Peoria
      Basin Street blues (ko vcl)
      Saint James infirmary (hra vcl)
      Wolverine blues
      Savoy blues
      Tin roof blues
      That's a plenty
      Aunt Hagar's blues
      Panama rag
      At the jazz band ball
      -Kid Ory/Red Allen in Denmark-: Kid Ory/Red Allen : Red Allen (tp,vcl) Kid Ory

      Concert, "KB-Hallen", Copenhagen, November 13, 1959
      Original dixieland one-step Stv (Dan)STCD6038
      I wish I could shimmy like my sister Kate (ko vcl) -
      Wolverine blues -
      St. James infirmary (ra vcl) -
      Tin roof blues -
      Clarinet marmalade -
      Muskrat ramble (ko vcl) -
      Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans ? (ko vcl) -
      At the jazz band ball -
      Savoy blues -
      Medley : Indiana -
      Sheik of Araby (ko vcl)