R: [RedHotJazz] Sources on Pre War European Jazz

  • levi.marco@libero.it
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 15, 2011
      Hello.a good source regarding the italian pre-war jazz is the trilogy written by the Italian publisher Adriano Mazzoletti, and the CD anthology by the same author. I suppose that english translations are available.Marco

      I hope you'll excuse my total lack of knowledge concerning finer points of pre-war Jazz, but I'm a relative newcomer to the study of Jazz music. Does anyone know of a good guide(s) that would give me a comprehensive overview of the history pre-war European Jazz music? My uncle was active in the the European Jazz and big band scene in the 1920's and 30's and as I've gotten older, I've developed an interest in discovering his history and the history of the music and other musicians of the period.

      #ygrp-mkp {
      border: 1px solid #d8d8d8;
      font-family: Arial;
      margin: 10px 0;
      padding: 0 10px;
      }

      #ygrp-mkp hr {
      border: 1px solid #d8d8d8;
      }

      #ygrp-mkp #hd {
      color: #628c2a;
      font-size: 85%;
      font-weight: 700;
      line-height: 122%;
      margin: 10px 0;
      }

      #ygrp-mkp #ads {
      margin-bottom: 10px;
      }

      #ygrp-mkp .ad {
      padding: 0 0;
      }

      #ygrp-mkp .ad p {
      margin: 0;
      }

      #ygrp-mkp .ad a {
      color: #0000ff;
      text-decoration: none;
      }
      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc {
      font-family: Arial;
      }

      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd {
      margin: 10px 0px;
      font-weight: 700;
      font-size: 78%;
      line-height: 122%;
      }

      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad {
      margin-bottom: 10px;
      padding: 0 0;
      }

      a {
      color: #1e66ae;
      }

      #actions {
      font-family: Verdana;
      font-size: 11px;
      padding: 10px 0;
      }

      #activity {
      background-color: #e0ecee;
      float: left;
      font-family: Verdana;
      font-size: 10px;
      padding: 10px;
      }

      #activity span {
      font-weight: 700;
      }

      #activity span:first-child {
      text-transform: uppercase;
      }

      #activity span a {
      color: #5085b6;
      text-decoration: none;
      }

      #activity span span {
      color: #ff7900;
      }

      #activity span .underline {
      text-decoration: underline;
      }

      .attach {
      clear: both;
      display: table;
      font-family: Arial;
      font-size: 12px;
      padding: 10px 0;
      width: 400px;
      }

      .attach div a {
      text-decoration: none;
      }

      .attach img {
      border: none;
      padding-right: 5px;
      }

      .attach label {
      display: block;
      margin-bottom: 5px;
      }

      .attach label a {
      text-decoration: none;
      }

      blockquote {
      margin: 0 0 0 4px;
      }

      .bold {
      font-family: Arial;
      font-size: 13px;
      font-weight: 700;
      }

      .bold a {
      text-decoration: none;
      }

      dd.last p a {
      font-family: Verdana;
      font-weight: 700;
      }

      dd.last p span {
      margin-right: 10px;
      font-family: Verdana;
      font-weight: 700;
      }

      dd.last p span.yshortcuts {
      margin-right: 0;
      }

      div.attach-table div div a {
      text-decoration: none;
      }

      div.attach-table {
      width: 400px;
      }

      div.file-title a, div.file-title a:active, div.file-title a:hover, div.file-title a:visited {
      text-decoration: none;
      }

      div.photo-title a, div.photo-title a:active, div.photo-title a:hover, div.photo-title a:visited {
      text-decoration: none;
      }

      div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts {
      font-family: Verdana;
      font-size: 10px;
      font-weight: normal;
      }

      .green {
      color: #628c2a;
      }

      .MsoNormal {
      margin: 0 0 0 0;
      }

      o {
      font-size: 0;
      }

      #photos div {
      float: left;
      width: 72px;
      }

      #photos div div {
      border: 1px solid #666666;
      height: 62px;
      overflow: hidden;
      width: 62px;
      }

      #photos div label {
      color: #666666;
      font-size: 10px;
      overflow: hidden;
      text-align: center;
      white-space: nowrap;
      width: 64px;
      }

      #reco-category {
      font-size: 77%;
      }

      #reco-desc {
      font-size: 77%;
      }

      .replbq {
      margin: 4px;
      }

      #ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {

      margin-right: 2px;
      padding-right: 5px;
      }

      #ygrp-mlmsg {
      font-size: 13px;
      font-family: Arial, helvetica,clean, sans-serif;
      *font-size: small;
      *font: x-small;
      }

      #ygrp-mlmsg table {
      font-size: inherit;
      font: 100%;
      }

      #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {
      font: 99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;
      }

      #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code {
      font:115% monospace;
      *font-size:100%;
      }

      #ygrp-mlmsg * {
      line-height: 1.22em;
      }

      #ygrp-mlmsg #logo {
      padding-bottom: 10px;
      }

      #ygrp-mlmsg a {
      color: #1E66AE;
      }

      #ygrp-msg p a {
      font-family: Verdana;
      }

      #ygrp-msg p#attach-count span {
      color: #1E66AE;
      font-weight: 700;
      }

      #ygrp-reco #reco-head {
      color: #ff7900;
      font-weight: 700;
      }

      #ygrp-reco {
      margin-bottom: 20px;
      padding: 0px;
      }

      #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a {
      font-size: 130%;
      text-decoration: none;
      }

      #ygrp-sponsor #ov li {
      font-size: 77%;
      list-style-type: square;
      padding: 6px 0;
      }

      #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul {
      margin: 0;
      padding: 0 0 0 8px;
      }

      #ygrp-text {
      font-family: Georgia;
      }

      #ygrp-text p {
      margin: 0 0 1em 0;
      }

      #ygrp-text tt {
      font-size: 120%;
      }

      #ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {
      border-right: none !important;
      }
      ->
      #ygrp-mkp {
      border: 1px solid #d8d8d8;
      font-family: Arial;
      margin: 10px 0;
      padding: 0 10px;
      }

      #ygrp-mkp hr {
      border: 1px solid #d8d8d8;
      }

      #ygrp-mkp #hd {
      color: #628c2a;
      font-size: 85%;
      font-weight: 700;
      line-height: 122%;
      margin: 10px 0;
      }

      #ygrp-mkp #ads {
      margin-bottom: 10px;
      }

      #ygrp-mkp .ad {
      padding: 0 0;
      }

      #ygrp-mkp .ad p {
      margin: 0;
      }

      #ygrp-mkp .ad a {
      color: #0000ff;
      text-decoration: none;
      }
      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc {
      font-family: Arial;
      }

      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd {
      margin: 10px 0px;
      font-weight: 700;
      font-size: 78%;
      line-height: 122%;
      }

      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad {
      margin-bottom: 10px;
      padding: 0 0;
      }

      a {
      color: #1e66ae;
      }

      #actions {
      font-family: Verdana;
      font-size: 11px;
      padding: 10px 0;
      }

      #activity {
      background-color: #e0ecee;
      float: left;
      font-family: Verdana;
      font-size: 10px;
      padding: 10px;
      }

      #activity span {
      font-weight: 700;
      }

      #activity span:first-child {
      text-transform: uppercase;
      }

      #activity span a {
      color: #5085b6;
      text-decoration: none;
      }

      #activity span span {
      color: #ff7900;
      }

      #activity span .underline {
      text-decoration: underline;
      }

      .attach {
      clear: both;
      display: table;
      font-family: Arial;
      font-size: 12px;
      padding: 10px 0;
      width: 400px;
      }

      .attach div a {
      text-decoration: none;
      }

      .attach img {
      border: none;
      padding-right: 5px;
      }

      .attach label {
      display: block;
      margin-bottom: 5px;
      }

      .attach label a {
      text-decoration: none;
      }

      blockquote {
      margin: 0 0 0 4px;
      }

      .bold {
      font-family: Arial;
      font-size: 13px;
      font-weight: 700;
      }

      .bold a {
      text-decoration: none;
      }

      dd.last p a {
      font-family: Verdana;
      font-weight: 700;
      }

      dd.last p span {
      margin-right: 10px;
      font-family: Verdana;
      font-weight: 700;
      }

      dd.last p span.yshortcuts {
      margin-right: 0;
      }

      div.attach-table div div a {
      text-decoration: none;
      }

      div.attach-table {
      width: 400px;
      }

[...]

      -->

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 15, 2011
        Never encountered an English translation of any edition of Mazzoletti¹s
        excellent and indispensible books!

        Nor am I aware of any book giving an overview of the European jazz scene. I
        am afraid it¹s a matter of getting hold of accounts for each country, of
        very variable quality, and few of them in English. Some of them are written
        by people who really believe that jazz began with bop and have nothing
        useful to say about what happened before that. There are lots of axes being
        ground. If you read all the books on jazz in France, some of which are even
        in English, you might come away with a decent overview. It would be a
        nightmarish job.

        Mark Miller ³Some Hustling This!, Taking Jazz To The World 1914-1929²
        (Toronto, Mercury Press, 2005) is focussed on American visitors but gives a
        consistent and sympathetic overview of what they found, and is probably a
        good place to start.

        What languages can you cope with?

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 16, 2011
          I guess UK is Europe ? The only history of pre-war UK jazz I know is Godbolt
          'A History Of Jazz In Britain 1919-50'. But maybe I'm out of date. I usually
          am.

          Oh, there was a previous, David Boulton 1958, 'Jazz In Britain' which is
          even less comprehensive.

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 16, 2011
            Indeed there are later works. Catherine Parsonage, The Evolution of Jazz in
            Britain 1890-1935 (Ashgate 2005) is not perfect (what is?) but it so far
            exceeds Godbolt¹s and Boulton¹s efforts in both understanding and quality of
            research as to be in a different league. (Which is of course partly to say
            that I agree with its emphasis and conclusions whereas I emphatically do not
            agree with Godbolt¹s!)

            There have been at least two other recent studies of jazz in Britain but
            they are more sociological than historical. We ought to mention John
            Chilton¹s Who¹s Who of British Jazz, which contains more of the history than
            any other book.

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 16, 2011
              Thanks for updating Howard.

              I am intrigued as to with what emphasis and conclusions you emphatically
              disagree.

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 16, 2011
                A reading of Catherine Parsonage¹s book will clarify this perfectly!

                But the basic problem is that Godbolt knows little or nothing about what
                happened BMM (before the Melody Maker) and didn¹t consider it necessary to
                find out.

                More generally, most writing about British jazz has relied heavily and
                inevitably on the Melody Maker and has adopted its perspective, which
                reflected vested interests which certainly did not have unbiased
                documentation as their main priority. In some ways the French are better off
                for having had a dialectic right from the start so that although all the
                numerous books on jazz in France are all heavily biassed there are at least
                alternative views out there for interested enquirers to assess and compare
                if they wish. Until very recently the Melody Maker view of British jazz
                history stood unchallenged.

                I haven¹t looked at Godbolt¹s book for years (because I do not want to find
                his prejudices ³contaminating² my own research and I prefer to do my own
                reading of the MM) but I just pulled it out of the enfer to confirm my
                recollection that it contains no mention of Victor Vorzanger¹s Broadway
                Band. Is that a sufficient explanation of my disagreement?

                If not, read the two references to Ken Johnson¹s band, by far the best and
                most idiomatic non-American jazz group to work in Britain before 1940, and
                particularly the sentence on page 188 by which he excuses himself.

                ³Emphatically² is a serious understatement. Just looking at the wretched
                book makes me angry all over again. But most of his copying from the Melody
                Maker is no doubt accurate, wherein lies the book¹s usefulness. If you
                haven¹t time or opportunity to read the MM yourself, Godbolt will do.

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 16, 2011
                  Thanks Howard.

                  At 50 odd nicker a throw, all I'm ever likely to read is what is up Google
                  books but this is sure a scholarly work. I'm very pleased to see that Ms
                  Parsonage enthuses over the ODJB's lovely 'I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles'.

                  Victor Vorzanger's Broadway Band is new to me -- is it jazz ? --so its
                  absence does not really explain your disagreement but I understand what you
                  mean.

                  I had no idea -- would never have thought in fact -- that M.M. ever had a
                  coherent and consistent view of jazz history.

                  I guess it's the 'black contribution to British jazz was slight' that makes
                  you angry all over again. But obviously, as regards numbers of musicians,
                  this was so.

                  I must defend Godbolt. 'There is nothing dry or pedantic about this work. It
                  is enlivened throughout by the author's passion for the music itself ' --
                  George Melly

                  I would also observe that Godbolt goes as far 1950 in this volume and that
                  there is a second, from 1950-70, which is even more enlivened because he
                  himself was part of the scene.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 17, 2011
                    Yes, let¹s us say in fairness that Godbolt¹s second book is much better
                    because he was an eye and ear witness of many of the events he recounts. I¹d
                    go so far as to say it is indispensible to anyone wanting to understand
                    British trad. So probably is Jim¹s autobiography, though I have never read
                    it, having been throroughly put off by the Storyville review!

                    However, these are primary sources rather than what our enquirer was
                    apparently seeking.

                    Vorzanger¹s band is in Rust. The records are variable and anyone is at
                    liberty to regard them or anything else as of merely historical importance,
                    but history is what we are talking about here. Vorzanger himself was
                    certainly not a jazz musician. He continued to provide music for bar
                    mitzvahs and weddings from his Whitechapel base well into the 50s, long
                    after his brief flirtation with jazz. Curiously he continued to appear in
                    the London Phone Book as a band contractor until 1959. Curiously, because he
                    died in 1957. Assumably someone carried the business on for a bit. The band
                    on Scala was not really his band. It was the band from Moody¹s Club and its
                    real leader was the African-American trombonist Ellis Jackson, later a
                    pillar of Billy Cotton¹s band. (Have you heard the 1936 sessions by Billy
                    Cotton¹s Cotton Pickers? Well worth seeking out.) There isa film made at
                    Moodyt¹s (unfortunately silent) showing the band in action.

                    on 16/03/2011 18:27, David Brown at johnhaleysims@... wrote:

                    > Thanks Howard.
                    >
                    > At 50 odd nicker a throw, all I'm ever likely to read is what is up Google
                    > books but this is sure a scholarly work. I'm very pleased to see that Ms
                    > Parsonage enthuses over the ODJB's lovely 'I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles'.
                    >
                    > Victor Vorzanger's Broadway Band is new to me -- is it jazz ? --so its
                    > absence does not really explain your disagreement but I understand what you
                    > mean.
                    >
                    > I had no idea -- would never have thought in fact -- that M.M. ever had a
                    > coherent and consistent view of jazz history.
                    >
                    > I guess it's the 'black contribution to British jazz was slight' that makes
                    > you angry all over again. But obviously, as regards numbers of musicians,
                    > this was so.
                    >
                    > I must defend Godbolt. 'There is nothing dry or pedantic about this work. It
                    > is enlivened throughout by the author's passion for the music itself ' --
                    > George Melly
                    >
                    > I would also observe that Godbolt goes as far 1950 in this volume and that
                    > there is a second, from 1950-70, which is even more enlivened because he
                    > himself was part of the scene.
                    >
                    > Dave

                  • bruce talbot
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 17, 2011
                      When I was working in recording studios in London in the 60s and 70s an elderly violinist named Vorzanger (can't remember his first name) was one of the string players who regularly turned up on sessions.  Presumably son of Victor...possibly the contractor to which you refer.

                      Bruce Talbot

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 17, 2011
                        'All This And Many A Dog' is indeed essential for anyone interested in
                        British post-war jazz. Not just Trad. In fact, Godbolt worked tirelessly to
                        book the non-trad mainstream bands which less than flourished for a few
                        years in the 50s/60s. It was a struggle, as he describes, but it could
                        always be that he was ringing Vorzanger's number after he was dead.

                        It is a very similar memoir to, and complements, often from the other side
                        of the fence, Melly's 'Owning Up'. Also often as funny.

                        I'll check out the Cottons. If I can find them -- where ? -- and am
                        especially intrigued as they come with recommendation from this source.

                        Dave Wilkins and Bertie King were among the finest, if not the finest,
                        musicians on their instruments working in pre-war UK. But, as West Indians,
                        like their British contemporaries, they would have had to learn jazz and
                        their styles are, at best, almost as derivative of American models.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 17, 2011
                          I would be content to say the jazz styles of these musicians were quite as
                          derivative.

                          What is interesting is what input there was from other musics of the African
                          diaspora to whch they were inheritors and what effect this had on their
                          ability to assimilate jazz and especially jazz rhythms. (I don¹t have an
                          answer to this and there very likely is no single answer anyway).

                          Bertie King had two styles, one essentially derivative of Benny Carter and a
                          much rougher style which can be heard for instance in his work with Chris
                          Barber. There are obvious links to the work of Pete Brown who had the same
                          Caribbean heritage.

                          In the 1920s and 1930s Caribbean musicians in Europe essentially had to play
                          jazz (except for the Martinquans in France) because the audience for
                          Caribbean music was insignificant. On the other hand the latest sounds from
                          Harlem were in demand. This is not confined to Britain. Denmark¹s Harlem
                          Kiddies (a bunch of Danes and Norwegians of Virgin Islands heritage) offer
                          the same mix. There are Dutch parallels too, notably Lex van Spall. They
                          were undoubtedly able to turn the theories of racists about the genetic
                          inheritance of cultural characteristics to their advantage by claiming an
                          ³authenticity¹ to which in truth they did not have much claim, though those
                          who came up in the 20s were much more likely to have worked with visiting
                          African-Americans and learned at first hand.

                          It is I¹m sure significant that so many of these musicians switched to Latin
                          music in the 40s when it became fashionable, following in the footsteps of
                          ³Edmundo Ros², known to his compatriots as Eddie Ross of the Trinidad Police
                          Band, and after 1950 to music from their own heritage. Trinidadian trumpeter
                          Cyril Blake led some of the best jazz records made in Britain, but in the
                          last years of his life recorded exclusively calypsos (though he had left
                          Trinidad in the teens and never went back). Blake learned his jazz in groups
                          dominated by African-Americans, whereas those who came up in the 1930s had
                          no more or less opportunities for direct absorption than other Britons.
                          Hence the suspicion that their frequent superiority connects to their
                          Caribbean heritage in ways which might prove to be quite complex.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 17, 2011
                            Vorzanger had at least 5 sons (Herman, Barold, Edward, Alfred, and Charles).
                            The eldest, Herman, was born in 1896, so would certainly have been elderly
                            by this time, but I don¹t seem to have any information on which of the sons
                            followed in their father¹s footsteps. Barold was the informant for his
                            father¹s death certificate.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 17, 2011
                              Charles was the Vorzanger I was thinking of....

                              Vorzanger had at least 5 sons (Herman, Barold, Edward, Alfred, and Charles).

                              The eldest, Herman, was born in 1896, so would certainly have been elderly

                              by this time, but I don¹t seem to have any information on which of the sons

                              followed in their father¹s footsteps. Barold was the informant for his

                              father¹s death certificate.

                              on 17/03/2011 13:21, bruce talbot at brucetalbot@... wrote:

                              > When I was working in recording studios in London in the 60s and 70s an

                              > elderly violinist named Vorzanger (can't remember his first name) was one of

                              > the string players who regularly turned up on sessions.  Presumably son of

                              > Victor...possibly the contractor to which you refer.

                              > Bruce Talbot

                              > --- On Thu, 3/17/11, Howard Rye <howard@...

                              > <mailto:howard%40coppermill.demon.co.uk> > wrote:

                              > From: Howard Rye <howard@...

                              > <mailto:howard%40coppermill.demon.co.uk> >

                              > Subject: Re: R: [RedHotJazz] Sources on Pre War European Jazz

                              > To: "red hot jazz" <RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com

                              > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> >

                              > Date: Thursday, March 17, 2011, 10:53 AM

                              > Yes, let¹s us say in fairness that Godbolt¹s second book is much better

                              > because he was an eye and ear witness of many of the events he recounts. I¹d

                              > go so far as to say it is indispensible to anyone wanting to understand

                              > British trad. So probably is Jim¹s autobiography, though I have never read

                              > it, having been throroughly put off by the Storyville review!

                              > However, these are primary sources rather than what our enquirer was

                              > apparently seeking.

                              > Vorzanger¹s band is in Rust. The records are variable and anyone is at

                              > liberty to regard them or anything else as of merely historical importance,

                              > but history is what we are talking about here. Vorzanger himself was

                              > certainly not a jazz musician. He continued to provide music for bar

                              > mitzvahs and weddings from his Whitechapel base well into the 50s, long

                              > after his brief flirtation with jazz. Curiously he continued to appear in

                              > the London Phone Book as a band contractor until 1959. Curiously, because he

                              > died in 1957. Assumably someone carried the business on for a bit. The band

                              > on Scala was not really his band. It was the band from Moody¹s Club and its

                              > real leader was the African-American trombonist Ellis Jackson, later a

                              > pillar of Billy Cotton¹s band. (Have you heard the 1936 sessions by Billy

                              > Cotton¹s Cotton Pickers? Well worth seeking out.) There isa film made at

                              > Moodyt¹s (unfortunately silent) showing the band in action.

                            • Robert
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 17, 2011

                                > Yes, let¹s us say in fairness that Godbolt¹s second book is much better
                                > because he was an eye and ear witness of many of the events he recounts.

                                Entertaining as it is, this is one of its great limitations. Vol. 2 of Godbolt's History is pretty much a further volume of his memoirs. He seems to deal exclusively with the scene as he, and his generation knew it. There is no mention of Barry Martyn, for instance, or of the visiting African-American New Orleanians such as Kid Sheik, Kid Thomas, Manny Paul, John Handy, Andrew Morgan, all of whom came to the UK before 1970. No mention of Eureka magazine or of the Promotional Society for the Preservation of New Orleans Music who sponsored the tours made by Sheik, et al. But then Sheik never played Trad, did he?
                                Robert Greenwood
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 17, 2011
                                  I was deliberately trying not to be provocative but I would claim that
                                  Wilkins did possibly diverge farther from his US models, was more original,
                                  than any other UK player of the 30s I can think of -- at the moment. Other
                                  candidates ?

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 18, 2011
                                    Again need to defend Godbolt who never espoused 'Trad' but fought a good
                                    fight for uncommercial 'Mainstream'.

                                    But much on George Lewis who was the most important still extant influence
                                    on British Revivalism.

                                    Godbolt is enthusiastic but does share the standard critical view of his
                                    generation which has George 'representing direct the music's turn-of-the
                                    century originators ' --- incl Bolden.

                                    It's a good job I took cover in the Anderson to avoid being trampled in the
                                    rush of candidates for original British jazzmen.

                                    But to add even more, George Chisholm, of course, who was always instantly
                                    recognisable, not least for the 'humour' which pervaded his work and which
                                    eventually slipped into facetiousness.