Re: [RedHotJazz] "Lost Sounds" discography update?

  • John Schott
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 14 7:48 AM
      The great label Archeophone released a companion two CD set to the book “Lost Sounds”. Essential.

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 15 3:21 AM
        Most of the Dan Kildare sides are included with other relevant material in
        ³The Earliest Black String Bands², three volumes on Document DOCD5622/3/4.
        However they will all soon be appearing in much better sound on Bear
        Family¹s forthcoming ŒBlack Europe¹ set (though this will be very expensive
        I fancy).

        Volume 2 of the Document series includes the 1916 Versatile Four recordings
        which are key documents for ragtime/string band banjo playing, but Down Home
        Rag was taken from a 78 so damaged that it is incomplete. It has only 2
        minutes 31 seconds whereas the twelve-inch 78 runs for 3 minutes 41 seconds!
        You can hear the complete version on ŒRagtime to Jazz 1 1912-1919¹ (Timeless
        CBC1-035), which also includes good dubbings of other relevant material.