"Lost Sounds" discography update?

  • David W. Littlefield
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 14 7:31 AM
      Hi all. I'm reading "Lost sounds" and am getting the urge to hear
      some of the recordings. Part of my interest is the records featuring
      banjos--eg. some Dan Kildaire recordings, the quality of the
      banjoists on which the author praises.

      I note that the paperback is dated 2005. Is there an updated
      discography, formal or informal, that might help me acquire some of the music.

      Thanks.
      --Sheik
    • John Schott
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 14 7:48 AM
        The great label Archeophone released a companion two CD set to the book “Lost Sounds”. Essential.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 15 3:21 AM
          Most of the Dan Kildare sides are included with other relevant material in
          ³The Earliest Black String Bands², three volumes on Document DOCD5622/3/4.
          However they will all soon be appearing in much better sound on Bear
          Family¹s forthcoming ŒBlack Europe¹ set (though this will be very expensive
          I fancy).

          Volume 2 of the Document series includes the 1916 Versatile Four recordings
          which are key documents for ragtime/string band banjo playing, but Down Home
          Rag was taken from a 78 so damaged that it is incomplete. It has only 2
          minutes 31 seconds whereas the twelve-inch 78 runs for 3 minutes 41 seconds!
          You can hear the complete version on ŒRagtime to Jazz 1 1912-1919¹ (Timeless
          CBC1-035), which also includes good dubbings of other relevant material.