Prince's Band - That's A Plenty and other "Jazz" standards

  • Andrew Homzy
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2011
      I've been looking for recordings of a few tunes by Prince's Band which reflect early jazz repertoire -

      So far, I've only found "Ballin' The Jack" - a good performance, but marred by animal sounds and other "effects".

      Prince's band recorded the first versions of "That's A Plenty" and "High Society" - maybe others.

      I'd love to hear them. Are they available?

      Cheers,

      Andrew

      http://www.archive.org/details/PrincesBand
    • John McCusker
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2011
        I did a cd reissue called "Wax Impressions: Jazz Standards before there was jazz." or something like that. It featured pre-jazz recordings of High Society, Flee as a Bird, Bill Bailey, The Original Dixieland One-Step(That Teasin Rag), The St. Louis Tickle, Over the Waves, Oh Didn't He Ramble, Pretty Baby and The Saints.
        All I can say is thanmk god jazz came along. The melodies are familar but the performances are pure corn.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6, 2011
          ³High Society² was on two VJM LPs: VLP1 and VLP51, but I don¹t have either!
          They shouldn¹t be difficult to find though. VLP1 was called ŒA Programme of
          Ragtime¹ and has three other Prince¹s sides on it. VLP51 was called ³Ragtime
          Memories² and also has Porcupine Rag and Georgia Grind.