RE: [RedHotJazz] Re: Morton RHP Clarinets 1930

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2011
      Many thanks Robert.

      Think I've found the photo online although without personnel. Prominent is a
      bass drum with the silhouette of a naked young woman standing on a
      toadstool. With blooms. I wonder why ? That the one ?

      Where does this appear in print please ?

      I had already decided that Cornbread was whimsy but had come down for Joe
      'Vankert' Thomas from Pennsylvania, later featured tenor with Lunceford, who
      is reported as having come to NYC in 1930 to join Horace Henderson on alto.

      We can discount him ?

    • m15romano
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2011
        Hello Mr. David.

        Try viewing the picture here.

        http://www.doctorjazz.co.uk/jelly2.html

        The man with the drums kit is William Laws. Thank you.

        Marco Romano.

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2011
          Hello Mr Marco

          Many thanks for the link to the photo which also appears in appalling
          quality in our old friend 'Pictorial History Of Jazz'.

          This is therefore taken during the recording sessions of July 8-12 1929.
          Rust reverses the saxes and has Joe on alto. The photo shows both Thomas
          bros on tenor and Paul Barnes alto.

          Rust also reinstates the bros for one of the sessions with problematic
          clarinet, 2 June 30. He also adds 'Eddie Scarpa' on clarinet but I hear only
          two reeds with both bros -- if it is them -- doubling, not very well,
          clarinet.

        • Robert
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 4, 2011
            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "David Brown" <johnhaleysims@...> wrote:

            > Where does this appear in print please ?

            In Bill Russell's Oh, Mr Jelly.