Re: [RedHotJazz] Jazz in Lyon, France

    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 1 6:01 AM
      Hi John,

      There are probably few venues with only older music, but there is a web site listing all clubs: http://www.culture.lyon.fr/culture/sections/fr/jazz/

      The Hot Club seems to regularly feature groups in the older styles, but obviously does not yet have a program for the time you plan to come.

      All the best,

      Michael

      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1 6:05 AM
        To judge from the listings in the current Jazz Dixie/Swing quite a hotbed.

        The Hot Club de Lyon, 26 rue Lanterne, 69001 Lyon, is said to present a gig
        every night from Tuesday to Saturday . There¹s a list of venues with jazz
        from time to time. The only one with a website is Le fox-trot at
        <www.lefoxtrot.fr>, and the only gig listed that far head is Hahmet Gulbay
        (no idea, sounds manouche) on 9 April at Jazz et Gastronomie at Chaponnay,
        which is outer suburban.

        Get in touch again nearer the time.

        on 01/03/2011 13:02, John McCusker at ory1886@... wrote:

        > Hey all. Headed across the pond for the first time. Will be in Lyon, France in
        > early April. Anyone playing our kind of music there?
        > John
        > --- On Tue, 3/1/11, David Brown <johnhaleysims@...
        > <mailto:johnhaleysims%40yahoo.co.uk> > wrote:
        >
        > From: David Brown <johnhaleysims@...
        > <mailto:johnhaleysims%40yahoo.co.uk> >
        > Subject: RE: [RedHotJazz] Re: Instrumentation similar to the KOCJB
        > To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>
        > Date: Tuesday, March 1, 2011, 2:59 AM
        >

        > Hello Serapion
        >
        > Wisdom there. Yes, Natty/Mitchell are much freer, less disciplined. But
        > glorious.
        >
        > The idea that Oliver imported Louis to save his chops definitely runs, it
        > certainly did in later years with increasing technical problems.
        >
        > But on the records Oliver seldom takes down, there are very few actual
        > solos, certainly from Louis.
        >
        > Of course, it could always be that 'live' it was otherwise but reports of
        > the band stress the magical interplay between Oliver and Armstrong.
        >
        > I don't really believe that Oliver wanted to keep Louis down. But Oliver
        > does comes over as rather enigmatic, both generous and tight like that, both
        > jolly and dour.
        >
        > I like to think that the glory of the double cornet front line attests to
        > the musical creativity and originality of Oliver.
        >
        > I forgot to mention that the very first Euro revival band, that of George
        > Webb in 1943, also used two cornets.
        >
        > Dave

      • JamesJazz
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 1 2:05 PM
          What timing! I too will visit Lyon (early April) for a weekend and will try to catch some sounds.

          Jim
          www.detroitmusichistory.com
          www.jazzstage.us

          To judge from the listings in the current Jazz Dixie/Swing quite a hotbed.

          The Hot Club de Lyon, 26 rue Lanterne, 69001 Lyon, is said to present a gig
          every night from Tuesday to Saturday . There¹s a list of venues with jazz
          from time to time. The only one with a website is Le fox-trot at
          <www.lefoxtrot.fr>, and the only gig listed that far head is Hahmet Gulbay
          (no idea, sounds manouche) on 9 April at Jazz et Gastronomie at Chaponnay,
          which is outer suburban.

          Get in touch again nearer the time.

          on 01/03/2011 13:02, John McCusker at ory1886@... wrote:

          > Hey all. Headed across the pond for the first time. Will be in Lyon, France in
          > early April. Anyone playing our kind of music there?
          > John
          > --- On Tue, 3/1/11, David Brown < johnhaleysims@...
          > <mailto:johnhaleysims%40yahoo.co.uk> > wrote:
          >
          > From: David Brown < johnhaleysims@...
          > <mailto:johnhaleysims%40yahoo.co.uk> >
          > Subject: RE: [RedHotJazz] Re: Instrumentation similar to the KOCJB
          > To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Date: Tuesday, March 1, 2011, 2:59 AM
          >

          > Hello Serapion
          >
          > Wisdom there. Yes, Natty/Mitchell are much freer, less disciplined. But
          > glorious.
          >
          > The idea that Oliver imported Louis to save his chops definitely runs, it
          > certainly did in later years with increasing technical problems.
          >
          > But on the records Oliver seldom takes down, there are very few actual
          > solos, certainly from Louis.
          >
          > Of course, it could always be that 'live' it was otherwise but reports of
          > the band stress the magical interplay between Oliver and Armstrong.
          >
          > I don't really believe that Oliver wanted to keep Louis down. But Oliver
          > does comes over as rather enigmatic, both generous and tight like that, both
          > jolly and dour.
          >
          > I like to think that the glory of the double cornet front line attests to
          > the musical creativity and originality of Oliver.
          >
          > I forgot to mention that the very first Euro revival band, that of George
          > Webb in 1943, also used two cornets.
          >
          > Dave

        • louis
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 2 6:03 AM
            Thanks Michael, Howard and Louis. Looks like I'm headed for the Hot Club of Lyon.