Jazz in Lyon, France

  • John McCusker
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 1, 2011
      Hey all. Headed across the pond for the first time. Will be in Lyon, France in early April. Anyone playing our kind of music there?
      John
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1, 2011
        Hi John,

        There are probably few venues with only older music, but there is a web site listing all clubs: http://www.culture.lyon.fr/culture/sections/fr/jazz/

        The Hot Club seems to regularly feature groups in the older styles, but obviously does not yet have a program for the time you plan to come.

        All the best,

        Michael

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 1, 2011
          To judge from the listings in the current Jazz Dixie/Swing quite a hotbed.

          The Hot Club de Lyon, 26 rue Lanterne, 69001 Lyon, is said to present a gig
          every night from Tuesday to Saturday . There¹s a list of venues with jazz
          from time to time. The only one with a website is Le fox-trot at
          <www.lefoxtrot.fr>, and the only gig listed that far head is Hahmet Gulbay
          (no idea, sounds manouche) on 9 April at Jazz et Gastronomie at Chaponnay,
          which is outer suburban.

          Get in touch again nearer the time.

          on 01/03/2011 13:02, John McCusker at ory1886@... wrote:

          > Hey all. Headed across the pond for the first time. Will be in Lyon, France in
          > early April. Anyone playing our kind of music there?
          > John
          > --- On Tue, 3/1/11, David Brown <johnhaleysims@...
          > <mailto:johnhaleysims%40yahoo.co.uk> > wrote:
          >
          > From: David Brown <johnhaleysims@...
          > <mailto:johnhaleysims%40yahoo.co.uk> >
          > Subject: RE: [RedHotJazz] Re: Instrumentation similar to the KOCJB
          > To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Date: Tuesday, March 1, 2011, 2:59 AM
          >

          > Hello Serapion
          >
          > Wisdom there. Yes, Natty/Mitchell are much freer, less disciplined. But
          > glorious.
          >
          > The idea that Oliver imported Louis to save his chops definitely runs, it
          > certainly did in later years with increasing technical problems.
          >
          > But on the records Oliver seldom takes down, there are very few actual
          > solos, certainly from Louis.
          >
          > Of course, it could always be that 'live' it was otherwise but reports of
          > the band stress the magical interplay between Oliver and Armstrong.
          >
          > I don't really believe that Oliver wanted to keep Louis down. But Oliver
          > does comes over as rather enigmatic, both generous and tight like that, both
          > jolly and dour.
          >
          > I like to think that the glory of the double cornet front line attests to
          > the musical creativity and originality of Oliver.
          >
          > I forgot to mention that the very first Euro revival band, that of George
          > Webb in 1943, also used two cornets.
          >
          > Dave

        • JamesJazz
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 1, 2011
            What timing! I too will visit Lyon (early April) for a weekend and will try to catch some sounds.

            Jim
            www.detroitmusichistory.com
            www.jazzstage.us

            To judge from the listings in the current Jazz Dixie/Swing quite a hotbed.

            The Hot Club de Lyon, 26 rue Lanterne, 69001 Lyon, is said to present a gig
            every night from Tuesday to Saturday . There¹s a list of venues with jazz
            from time to time. The only one with a website is Le fox-trot at
            <www.lefoxtrot.fr>, and the only gig listed that far head is Hahmet Gulbay
            (no idea, sounds manouche) on 9 April at Jazz et Gastronomie at Chaponnay,
            which is outer suburban.

            Get in touch again nearer the time.

            on 01/03/2011 13:02, John McCusker at ory1886@... wrote:

            > Hey all. Headed across the pond for the first time. Will be in Lyon, France in
            > early April. Anyone playing our kind of music there?
            > John
            > --- On Tue, 3/1/11, David Brown < johnhaleysims@...
            > <mailto:johnhaleysims%40yahoo.co.uk> > wrote:
            >
            > From: David Brown < johnhaleysims@...
            > <mailto:johnhaleysims%40yahoo.co.uk> >
            > Subject: RE: [RedHotJazz] Re: Instrumentation similar to the KOCJB
            > To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>
            > Date: Tuesday, March 1, 2011, 2:59 AM
            >

            > Hello Serapion
            >
            > Wisdom there. Yes, Natty/Mitchell are much freer, less disciplined. But
            > glorious.
            >
            > The idea that Oliver imported Louis to save his chops definitely runs, it
            > certainly did in later years with increasing technical problems.
            >
            > But on the records Oliver seldom takes down, there are very few actual
            > solos, certainly from Louis.
            >
            > Of course, it could always be that 'live' it was otherwise but reports of
            > the band stress the magical interplay between Oliver and Armstrong.
            >
            > I don't really believe that Oliver wanted to keep Louis down. But Oliver
            > does comes over as rather enigmatic, both generous and tight like that, both
            > jolly and dour.
            >
            > I like to think that the glory of the double cornet front line attests to
            > the musical creativity and originality of Oliver.
            >
            > I forgot to mention that the very first Euro revival band, that of George
            > Webb in 1943, also used two cornets.
            >
            > Dave

          • louis
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 2, 2011
              Thanks Michael, Howard and Louis. Looks like I'm headed for the Hot Club of Lyon.