RE: [RedHotJazz] Re: Instrumentation similar to the KOCJB

    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 1, 2011
      Hello Serapion

      Wisdom there. Yes, Natty/Mitchell are much freer, less disciplined. But
      glorious.

      The idea that Oliver imported Louis to save his chops definitely runs, it
      certainly did in later years with increasing technical problems.

      But on the records Oliver seldom takes down, there are very few actual
      solos, certainly from Louis.

      Of course, it could always be that 'live' it was otherwise but reports of
      the band stress the magical interplay between Oliver and Armstrong.

      I don't really believe that Oliver wanted to keep Louis down. But Oliver
      does comes over as rather enigmatic, both generous and tight like that, both
      jolly and dour.

      I like to think that the glory of the double cornet front line attests to
      the musical creativity and originality of Oliver.

      I forgot to mention that the very first Euro revival band, that of George
      Webb in 1943, also used two cornets.

    • John McCusker
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1, 2011
        Hey all. Headed across the pond for the first time. Will be in Lyon, France in early April. Anyone playing our kind of music there?
        John

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 1, 2011
          Hi John,

          There are probably few venues with only older music, but there is a web site listing all clubs: http://www.culture.lyon.fr/culture/sections/fr/jazz/

          The Hot Club seems to regularly feature groups in the older styles, but obviously does not yet have a program for the time you plan to come.

          All the best,

          Michael

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 1, 2011
            To judge from the listings in the current Jazz Dixie/Swing quite a hotbed.

            The Hot Club de Lyon, 26 rue Lanterne, 69001 Lyon, is said to present a gig
            every night from Tuesday to Saturday . There¹s a list of venues with jazz
            from time to time. The only one with a website is Le fox-trot at
            <www.lefoxtrot.fr>, and the only gig listed that far head is Hahmet Gulbay
            (no idea, sounds manouche) on 9 April at Jazz et Gastronomie at Chaponnay,
            which is outer suburban.

            Get in touch again nearer the time.

            on 01/03/2011 13:02, John McCusker at ory1886@... wrote:

            > Hey all. Headed across the pond for the first time. Will be in Lyon, France in
            > early April. Anyone playing our kind of music there?
            > John
            > --- On Tue, 3/1/11, David Brown <johnhaleysims@...
            > <mailto:johnhaleysims%40yahoo.co.uk> > wrote:
            >
            > From: David Brown <johnhaleysims@...
            > <mailto:johnhaleysims%40yahoo.co.uk> >
            > Subject: RE: [RedHotJazz] Re: Instrumentation similar to the KOCJB
            > To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>
            > Date: Tuesday, March 1, 2011, 2:59 AM
            >

            > Hello Serapion
            >
            > Wisdom there. Yes, Natty/Mitchell are much freer, less disciplined. But
            > glorious.
            >
            > The idea that Oliver imported Louis to save his chops definitely runs, it
            > certainly did in later years with increasing technical problems.
            >
            > But on the records Oliver seldom takes down, there are very few actual
            > solos, certainly from Louis.
            >
            > Of course, it could always be that 'live' it was otherwise but reports of
            > the band stress the magical interplay between Oliver and Armstrong.
            >
            > I don't really believe that Oliver wanted to keep Louis down. But Oliver
            > does comes over as rather enigmatic, both generous and tight like that, both
            > jolly and dour.
            >
            > I like to think that the glory of the double cornet front line attests to
            > the musical creativity and originality of Oliver.
            >
            > I forgot to mention that the very first Euro revival band, that of George
            > Webb in 1943, also used two cornets.
            >
            > Dave

          • JamesJazz
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 1, 2011
              What timing! I too will visit Lyon (early April) for a weekend and will try to catch some sounds.

              Jim
              www.detroitmusichistory.com
              www.jazzstage.us

              To judge from the listings in the current Jazz Dixie/Swing quite a hotbed.

              The Hot Club de Lyon, 26 rue Lanterne, 69001 Lyon, is said to present a gig
              every night from Tuesday to Saturday . There¹s a list of venues with jazz
              from time to time. The only one with a website is Le fox-trot at
              <www.lefoxtrot.fr>, and the only gig listed that far head is Hahmet Gulbay
              (no idea, sounds manouche) on 9 April at Jazz et Gastronomie at Chaponnay,
              which is outer suburban.

              Get in touch again nearer the time.

              on 01/03/2011 13:02, John McCusker at ory1886@... wrote:

              > Hey all. Headed across the pond for the first time. Will be in Lyon, France in
              > early April. Anyone playing our kind of music there?
              > John
              > --- On Tue, 3/1/11, David Brown < johnhaleysims@...
              > <mailto:johnhaleysims%40yahoo.co.uk> > wrote:
              >
              > From: David Brown < johnhaleysims@...
              > <mailto:johnhaleysims%40yahoo.co.uk> >
              > Subject: RE: [RedHotJazz] Re: Instrumentation similar to the KOCJB
              > To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>
              > Date: Tuesday, March 1, 2011, 2:59 AM
              >

              > Hello Serapion
              >
              > Wisdom there. Yes, Natty/Mitchell are much freer, less disciplined. But
              > glorious.
              >
              > The idea that Oliver imported Louis to save his chops definitely runs, it
              > certainly did in later years with increasing technical problems.
              >
              > But on the records Oliver seldom takes down, there are very few actual
              > solos, certainly from Louis.
              >
              > Of course, it could always be that 'live' it was otherwise but reports of
              > the band stress the magical interplay between Oliver and Armstrong.
              >
              > I don't really believe that Oliver wanted to keep Louis down. But Oliver
              > does comes over as rather enigmatic, both generous and tight like that, both
              > jolly and dour.
              >
              > I like to think that the glory of the double cornet front line attests to
              > the musical creativity and originality of Oliver.
              >
              > I forgot to mention that the very first Euro revival band, that of George
              > Webb in 1943, also used two cornets.
              >
              > Dave

            • louis
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 2, 2011
                Thanks Michael, Howard and Louis. Looks like I'm headed for the Hot Club of Lyon.