Morton RHP Clarinets 1930

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1 12:20 AM
      This enigma has resurfaced with the idea that among those present here is
      Carmelo Jari, aka Jejo, who, however, is reliably reported deceased in 1929.

      The name of Joe Thomas appears in Rust. This has been interpreted as Joe
      'Cornbread' Thomas from N.O. Can anybody confirm that he was in NYC at this
      time?

      Two candidates come from Morton himself, both white, one Andy Sannella.

      Can anybody please point me at cast iron exposed Sannella clarinet ?

      Also any biographicals on another candidate, Ernie Bullock ?

      Many thanks

    • Robert
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3 1:18 AM
        The Joe Thomas who recorded with Morton was the brother of Walter Foots Thomas. I think they were from Oklahoma. There is a photograph of the brothers with Morton.

        Robert Greenwood

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3 7:37 AM
          Many thanks Robert.

          Think I've found the photo online although without personnel. Prominent is a
          bass drum with the silhouette of a naked young woman standing on a
          toadstool. With blooms. I wonder why ? That the one ?

          Where does this appear in print please ?

          I had already decided that Cornbread was whimsy but had come down for Joe
          'Vankert' Thomas from Pennsylvania, later featured tenor with Lunceford, who
          is reported as having come to NYC in 1930 to join Horace Henderson on alto.

          We can discount him ?

        • m15romano
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3 10:10 AM
            Hello Mr. David.

            Try viewing the picture here.

            http://www.doctorjazz.co.uk/jelly2.html

            The man with the drums kit is William Laws. Thank you.

            Marco Romano.

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 4 12:16 AM
              Hello Mr Marco

              Many thanks for the link to the photo which also appears in appalling
              quality in our old friend 'Pictorial History Of Jazz'.

              This is therefore taken during the recording sessions of July 8-12 1929.
              Rust reverses the saxes and has Joe on alto. The photo shows both Thomas
              bros on tenor and Paul Barnes alto.

              Rust also reinstates the bros for one of the sessions with problematic
              clarinet, 2 June 30. He also adds 'Eddie Scarpa' on clarinet but I hear only
              two reeds with both bros -- if it is them -- doubling, not very well,
              clarinet.

            • Robert
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 4 1:09 AM
                --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "David Brown" <johnhaleysims@...> wrote:

                > Where does this appear in print please ?

                In Bill Russell's Oh, Mr Jelly.