trouble playing RHJ files

  • bruhnrick
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 16 2:59 PM
      i used to listen to RHJ files all the time a few years ago with no problems. now, using the latest version of real music i get a lot of distortion, empty space, staggering, etc. it never goes through the entire tune without some interference. any ideas why that might be?

      thanks
    • Alex Hill
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 17 12:13 AM
        I had a similar problem as well as playing files on Real Player only be told
        that file is not recognised or some missing.

        I haven't got a clue what it is all about.

        ta

        alex

        >i used to listen to RHJ files all the time a few years ago with no
        >problems. now, using the latest version of real music i get a lot of
        >distortion, empty space, staggering, etc. it never goes through the entire
        >tune without some interference. any ideas why that might be?
        >
        > thanks

      • Alex Hill
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 17 12:43 AM
          I forgot to mention that I played a couple last month via the site with Real
          Player music which I ran into the aforementioned messages on Real Player.

          Can't remember what tracks I played... I think... "you were only passing
          time with me" Alex Hill or something like that...

          Maybe alright now...

          ta

          alex

        • patrice.champarou@free.fr
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 17 1:10 AM
            I usually attempt to reply such questions privately rather than let them be
            posted to the group... still, I think it is useful to make a clear
            difference between two kinds of problems :

            - If a couple of files from the RHJ website are corrupted or absent, while
            the others are working, it is, as we already know, a problem we cannot
            solve (wrong links, faulty realaudio files etc.) related to the website
            itself.

            - distortion and "blanks" are a completely different matter, depending on
            your individual settings, and more likely to be discussed on a relevant
            forum (or privately) since every system is different and you need providing
            technical details.

            My first, general suggestion about distortion would be to check the drivers
            of your soundcard.

            Then, it is very likely that interruption of the sound while playing is
            merely a buffering problem - possibly resulting from a wrong indication of
            your bandwidth during installation.
            You can either uninstall and reinstall the player, or use the alternative
            player http://www.free-codecs.com/download/real_alternative.htm instead of
            the "official" one, which consumes a lot of resources.
            Or, alternatively, try to change some of your parameters (click on the top
            left "Realplayer" label, then go to "preferences"). For example, disabling
            16bit sound from the "hardware" panel may help if your soundcard is too
            old... but this is one among many other possibilities.

            Patrice