Whites Jump, Colored Swing

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2011
      'There was another after hour joint called the Fiume -- a Black & Tan
      place -- and they had an all White Dixieland combo --- white musicians
      playing all that good 'jump' music -- making the Colored people swing like
      mad. The Fiume and the Edelweiss Gardens became a toss up with me as to
      which one I should hang out.'

      Louis Armstrong in Brothers 'Louis In His Own Words'.

      The band at the Edelweiss was Keppard's. Anybody know what band played at
      the Fiume Café, Chicago, about 1923 ?

      Louis was very surprised at discovering the Fiume. I infer this was more at
      the -- for him -- racial anomaly of whites playing for blacks than that a
      white band could 'jump'.

    • John McCusker
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 2011
        Dave I think you are spot on about your last point as to it being a social issue, not a musical one. Have you checked Gushee's book for the Keppard info?
        John