Re: [RedHotJazz] Early Brass Basses

  • patrice.champarou@free.fr
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 5, 2011
      -----Message d'origine-----
      From: David Brown
      Sent: Friday, February 04, 2011 9:57 AM
      To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [RedHotJazz] Early Brass Basses

      > Hi Patrice and everybody

      > I think the John Mills (x 2) were indulging in brass bass imitation and
      > can
      > be very well heard on 30s sides.

      > I have the very first Mills on now 'Nobody's Sweetheart' 1931 (in a JRT
      > transcription) and the 'tuba' of John Jnr almost dominates.

      Well, yes, Dave, quite obviously!
      Sorry for such a late, and probably pointless reply, for some reason my
      mailer had sent this one to an unrelated folder.

      Vocal imitiation of brass bass (in which a human voice is still
      recognizable) was the starting point, I only meant to say that the process
      had not, as far as I know, been used in pre-war *blues* - an arbitrary
      category indeed, but one under which neither the Mills nor the Ink Spots are
      usually filed.
      Also that the separate indication of "imb." which appears in discographies
      does not seem to refer to anything else than imitation of *string* bass.
      I tried several recorded examples in which Elkins was mentioned, and all I
      could hear until now was either, clearly nothing at all as in Clayton's
      case, or some muffled sound merging with the piano basses... BTW, I was
      unfair to Bill Settles if I added him to the list, because he usually played
      a real double bass, and the difference is quite obvious.

      I admit that the term "technical limitation" was not the proper one, but the
      post-war examples I mentioned, actually faking the pizzicati of a string
      bass with voice, seemed to require a PA mike and a separated amp with some
      primitive reverb.