Re: Early Brass Basses

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 43 , Feb 3, 2011
      The line-up for Allen's Brass Band as listed in Knowles: Allen, Celestin, Joe Howard – cornets; George Sims – baritone horn; Wallace Collins – tuba; Jack Carey – trombone; Clay Jiles – bass drum; George Allen – snare drum; Jimmy Palao, and either August Rousseau or Thomas LeBlanc – alto horns.

      I guess it all depends on how you define or identify a tuba. Joe Howard, I think, plays tuba on the 1946 Original Zenith Brass Band sides.

      Knowles also includes a 1951 photograph of the Allen Brass Band showing, among others, Mallory Todd on sousaphone, Tats Alexander on baritone horn, and Eddie Big Head Johnson on alto saxophone.

      Robert Greenwood.
    • domitype
      Message 43 of 43 , Feb 12, 2011
        I found this 1915  picture (and info) on the Henry Allen Band:
        http://www.hurricanebrassband.nl/Brassband%20Henry%20Allen%20brass%20band.htm
        Be sure to check the Brass Band History page on that site - lots of research here!

        Dave Richoux (you may notice a different e-mail for me due to technical difficulties with my old one.)

        On Feb 11, 2011, at 12:31 AM, "David Brown" <johnhaleysims@...> wrote:

        Hello John

        Difficult to find pictorial evidence 20s & 30s brass snip