RE: [RedHotJazz] Re: Early Brass Basses

    Message 1 of 43 , Feb 2, 2011
      Thanks to everybody for wide ranging, erudite and entertaining
      contributions.

      I think we agree that the brass bass was not 'natural' to N.O. jazz and
      even possibly not natural to N.O. brass bands.

      Robert's findings confirm mine. I have so far found no pictorial evidence of
      brass basses in N.O. brass bands before late 20s. What is the earliest date
      we can find ?

      His point about the other brass horns not adapting to jazz is also good. I
      wonder why ? Their role was taken by saxophones -- even in brass bands.

      Robert -- is the photo in the Knowles and, if so, is it dated and is Pops
      listed ? Pops does not mention working with Allen whose band was, of course,
      based in Algiers.

      Alan -- nice story -- my first ever jazz gig was in Uxbridge at the Regal
      Cinema. Humph. I was too young to get into pubs or clubs.

    • domitype
      Message 43 of 43 , Feb 12, 2011
        I found this 1915  picture (and info) on the Henry Allen Band:
        http://www.hurricanebrassband.nl/Brassband%20Henry%20Allen%20brass%20band.htm
        Be sure to check the Brass Band History page on that site - lots of research here!

        Dave Richoux (you may notice a different e-mail for me due to technical difficulties with my old one.)

        On Feb 11, 2011, at 12:31 AM, "David Brown" <johnhaleysims@...> wrote:

        Hello John

        Difficult to find pictorial evidence 20s & 30s brass snip