Re: Early Brass Basses

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 43 , Feb 1, 2011
      It's interesting (maybe?) also that the brass bass became a dance band instrument in a way that the other variously-pitched horns didn't or maybe couldn't. Is it not the case that the latter horns came to be replaced in the brass bands by saxophones? Bill Russell's recording of Bunk's Brass Band in 1945 is surely rather archaic in its substitution of the alto horn for any form of saxophone? As to the string bass, it might be worth considering that the jazz band, so called, may have evolved as an augmentation of the string band? We seem to be considering the string bass as a replacement for the brass bass in dance bands, but in New Orleans I suspect the string bass was there all along and didn't "replace" anything.
      Robert Greenwood
    • domitype
      Message 43 of 43 , Feb 12, 2011
        I found this 1915  picture (and info) on the Henry Allen Band:
        http://www.hurricanebrassband.nl/Brassband%20Henry%20Allen%20brass%20band.htm
        Be sure to check the Brass Band History page on that site - lots of research here!

        Dave Richoux (you may notice a different e-mail for me due to technical difficulties with my old one.)

        On Feb 11, 2011, at 12:31 AM, "David Brown" <johnhaleysims@...> wrote:

        Hello John

        Difficult to find pictorial evidence 20s & 30s brass snip