Re: Early Brass Basses

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 43 , Feb 1, 2011
      For those who want to follow up the subject, there's an extensive chapter on Henry Allen's Brass Band in Richard Knowles' book Fallen Heroes. I had time only for a quick glance at it last night & it seems that Allen used the tuba (or brass bass) during the "depression years" (quoting from Knowles) but perhaps not before.
      William Schaeffer's book on the NO Brass Bands might also contain some useful information. I'll look.
      Robert Greenwood

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "David Brown" <johnhaleysims@...> wrote:

      > better -- search Google images with 'Henry Allen Brass Band' and it comes up
      > first.

    • domitype
      Message 43 of 43 , Feb 12, 2011
        I found this 1915  picture (and info) on the Henry Allen Band:
        http://www.hurricanebrassband.nl/Brassband%20Henry%20Allen%20brass%20band.htm
        Be sure to check the Brass Band History page on that site - lots of research here!

        Dave Richoux (you may notice a different e-mail for me due to technical difficulties with my old one.)

        On Feb 11, 2011, at 12:31 AM, "David Brown" <johnhaleysims@...> wrote:

        Hello John

        Difficult to find pictorial evidence 20s & 30s brass snip