Early Brass Basses

    Message 1 of 43 , Jan 31, 2011
      This comes out of the string bass thread.

      Pops Foster states that he bought his first tuba in 1921 for the Streckfus
      steamers and the Gold Whispering Band of Ed Allen.

      My impression is that Pops was never a keen brass bassist and that its use
      was forced on him and maybe other bassists of his generation and that the
      brass bass came comparatively late to N.O. and its usage was somewhat alien.

      I had assumed that the brass bass was earlier in use in N.O. as a brass band
      instrument, however, Pops states that he played bass drum in parade bands.

      'Pictorial History Of Jazz' 1958 includes an undated photo of the Henry
      Allen Snr. Brass Band which appears to show Pops beside a bass drum, three
      cornets, two alto horns, one tenor horn, one baritone horn and one trombone.
      No tuba nor sousaphone.

      Does anyone know where else this photo might appear and its date or find
      first use of brass bass in N.O ?

    • domitype
      Message 43 of 43 , Feb 12, 2011
        I found this 1915  picture (and info) on the Henry Allen Band:
        http://www.hurricanebrassband.nl/Brassband%20Henry%20Allen%20brass%20band.htm
        Be sure to check the Brass Band History page on that site - lots of research here!

        Dave Richoux (you may notice a different e-mail for me due to technical difficulties with my old one.)

        On Feb 11, 2011, at 12:31 AM, "David Brown" <johnhaleysims@...> wrote:

        Hello John

        Difficult to find pictorial evidence 20s & 30s brass snip