Re: [RedHotJazz] I fully agree

  • patrice.champarou@free.fr
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 24, 2011
      Maybe I should insist that I do not intend to stop or ban the thread in
      itself, which is an interesting one.
      Otherwise, I would have erased the whole of it by now...
      No, what does not fit the mood and aim of this group is reference to old
      quarrels which occured somewhere else, or to elements of the discussion
      which are probably familiar to a couple of former protagonists, but far too
      elliptic for most readers, who might mostly retain an obviously unfriendly
      attitude (and no, I am not supposed to decide who started it, I just do not
      want this here ;-)).

      And that's about all, the discussion can carry on with the topic initially
      called McKinney's Cotton Pickers and "Birmingham Bertha", without the
      unrequested mention of a personal "addition" in the subject line, which
      breaks the thread and lets everyone think this is by no means an open,
      collective discussion (see group's rules there again, they also have
      technical reasons which I already explained, a Yahoo group is not a forum).

      Best,

      Patrice

      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 24, 2011
        I return to the original rather provocative header.

        I agree Patrice that aggression and insult have no place in the discussion
        of music but I think the identification of these sides is important as also
        is the fact that opinion has been divided on these forever -- 'Jazz
        Directory' of 1951 has this already 'as having long been a subject of
        controversy among collectors'.

        The source for this controversy must pre-date Redman's 1946 remarks for it
        appears he was specifically questioned on this issue. Redman's evidence is
        indeed third hand report of a musician's memory. But if I read it correctly
        he states that he and some other MKCPickers were on 'My Blackbirds' and
        'Don't Be Like That' and that MKCP were complete on 'Birmingham Bertha'.

        I have just listened and cannot find any immediate aural anomalies to
        contradict Redman but is it possible that new evidence will appear with the
        next part of the VJM article ?

        More importantly perhaps is what the fact that these sides have been in
        dispute for over 70 years has to say for racial theories of jazz history.

      • hans.eekhoff
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 24, 2011
          I very much agree with Dave that it is an important issue. Again I would again like to point out the great detail with which Redman described the occasion - hardly likely that he made it all up. Besides, when he told the story is wasn't all that long after it happened!
          But, more importantly, the Goldkette band DID record later that day and "An Old Italian Love Song" was issued.
          Here is a link to the tune:

          http://www.redhotjazz.com/Songs/goldkette/oldital.ram

          To my ears this is not the same band as the one that recorded "Bertha" earlier that day - what do you think?

          Hans Eekhoff

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "David Brown" <johnhaleysims@...> wrote:

          > I return to the original rather provocative header.
          >
          > I agree Patrice that aggression and insult have no place in the discussion
          > of music but I think the identification of these sides is important as also
          > is the fact that opinion has been divided on these forever -- 'Jazz
          > Directory' of 1951 has this already 'as having long been a subject of
          > controversy among collectors'.
          >
          > The source for this controversy must pre-date Redman's 1946 remarks for it
          > appears he was specifically questioned on this issue. Redman's evidence is
          > indeed third hand report of a musician's memory. But if I read it correctly
          > he states that he and some other MKCPickers were on 'My Blackbirds' and
          > 'Don't Be Like That' and that MKCP were complete on 'Birmingham Bertha'.
          >
          > I have just listened and cannot find any immediate aural anomalies to
          > contradict Redman but is it possible that new evidence will appear with the
          > next part of the VJM article ?
          >
          > More importantly perhaps is what the fact that these sides have been in
          > dispute for over 70 years has to say for racial theories of jazz history.
          >
          > Dave

        • David Weiner
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 24, 2011
            Of course, the arrangements couldn't be more different! But the distinctive
            sound of Nat Natoli's "nanny-goat" vibrato leading the trumpet section on
            "Italian" is not present on "Bertha," for what it's worth.

            Dave Weiner

            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 24, 2011
              on 24/01/2011 15:32, David Brown at johnhaleysims@... wrote:

              > More importantly perhaps is what the fact that these sides have been in
              > dispute for over 70 years has to say for racial theories of jazz history.
              >
              > Dave

              Not really, Dave, just a little local difficulty in their application.
              Traditions don¹t cease to exist because they overlap at times.

              No one doubts that there are separate white and black traditions in the
              string band music of the American South, but there are dozens of records
              (many more than in jazz) which taken in isolation could hardly be assigned
              with confidence to one tradition or the other, though there are not many
              bands which recorded any significant number of sides where it is not obvious
              which tradition they belong to. This comes about for a lot of reasons, black
              bands played in white styles to extract change from white passers by, white
              bands played in black styles when they wanted to sound down and dirty,
              people copied records or performances which particularly appealed to them,
              and many more.

              You could perfectly well substitute jazz in the above. The Goldkette and
              McKinney bands are easy to distinguish ninety per cent of the time (well 98%
              actually) and the differences are due in part to their different cultural
              heritages. The occasions when perhaps the Goldkette band played a Don Redman
              arrangement in the McKinney manner, or McKinney¹s played a Goldkette
              arrangement because the audience they were playing for asked for it, or
              whatever, isn¹t that significant.

              I do not want to enter the main controversy, nor will I until I find out
              what Don Redman actually said, rather than what Daniel Nevers reported that
              Charles Delaunay said he said. I have done a lot of looking for this, and so
              has Nick Dellow to my certain knowledge, and neither of us has any axe to
              grind, which is not true of Delaunay or Nevers.

              I¹m afraid I have provisionally concluded that Delaunay conveniently took
              this information to the grave. But his papers are in the Bibliothèque
              Nationale, where they are not very accessible to anyone other than French
              academics. Someone could go and look at them. Maybe the actual interview
              transcript there.

            • JamesJazz
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 24, 2011
                May I introduce myself. My name is Jim Gallert. Lars Bjorn and I wrote "Before Motown: A History of Jazz in Detroit, 1920-1960."
                This discussion is exactly what I hoped to find on this list - serious jazz research folks presenting information and in some cases disagreeing about stuff. I love the Cotton Pickers.
                I don't have any evidence contrary to Redman's comments that "Birm Bert" is a McKinney's recording. I listened to it (and all of the McK recs) with David Hutson & Dave Wilborn many years ago. I don't recall Dave's comments (if any) about this tune but I am pretty certain I would recall any revelation about it not being a Mck band.
                Dave was pretty sharp and didn't embellish stories once he told them, at least to me. I will review the interviews that Lars and I did with Dave (separate interviews) and will report to the group should any relevant comments surface.

                Dave was also a really sweet man, and had a million off-color jokes gleaned from his years as a popular MC in various Detroit clubs (post-McKinney). He later sang with the New McKinney's Cotton Pickers, but he'd been away from his strings too long and couldn't recapture his rhythm, so a vocalist he remained. Dave Wilborn was a gentle man.

                Jim Gallert
                www.detroitmusichistory.com
                www.jazzstage.us

                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 25, 2011
                  Hello Howard

                  The history of early jazz big band is indeed not a black & white issue.

                  Sudhalter makes, although does not prove, a case for Redman, the pre-eminent
                  early black arranger and supposed father of big band style, being influenced
                  by, and working within, the style of earlier white arrangers, notably Ferde
                  Grofé. Challis arranged for Henderson. Does the confusion between Goldkette
                  and MKCP not suggest that the deciding factor was more the arrangement than
                  the race of the musicians ?

                  Bose's solo on 'My Blackbirds' was previously attributed to Nesbitt. Steve
                  Brown was a dominant figure among bassists and influenced black and white.

                  As the Swing Era progressed, black influence on white swing bands increased.
                  Almost all the big white swing bands used black arrangers. I struggle to
                  find an exception. Anybody ? I exclude Miller from swing bands. Am I right ?
                  Also the token blacks in white bands.

                  Any later examples of white arrangers working for black bands ?

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 25, 2011
                    on 25/01/2011 09:28, David Brown at johnhaleysims@... asks:

                    ³ Does the confusion between Goldkette and MKCP not suggest that the
                    deciding factor was more the arrangement than
                    the race of the musicians ?²

                    I¹m sure it has nothing to do with anybody¹s colour, but this is the wrong
                    question, unless you suppose that Redman¹s arranging style owes nothing to
                    his cultural inheritance, and equally that the arranging styles of
                    Goldkette¹s arrangers owe nothing to theirs.

                    I would be amazed if Redman and Challis did not listen to one another¹s
                    work, and if they did not both take note of what Grofé and people even
                    further into the straight music-world were doing. I would also expect that
                    both would be aware of African-American arrangers like William Grant Still,
                    Will Vodery, and especially Will Marion Cook, who may well be the ultimate
                    father of all jazz arranging.

                    Who influenced them is interesting but it is more interesting to me what use
                    they made of the influence and how that was determined by various factors in
                    their musical background.

                    I suggested myself that the playing of one another¹s arrangements may be the
                    source of any confusion there is between the Goldkette band and MKCP. In
                    other words they may have been deliberately imitating one another!

                    What actual evidence is there that Steve Brown influenced African-American
                    bass players, bearing in mind that Bill Johnson, the oldest jazzman on
                    record, and presumptively the inventor (though I don¹t suppose for a moment
                    he came from nowhere either) of slap-bass playing, would have been a much
                    more accessible model in a segregated world? There is a wonderful anthology
                    compiled by Dick Spottswood on Dust To Digital (How Low Can You Go?) DTD-04
                    which tends to demonstrate this point.

                    Bass history is complicated by the fact that it was almost impossible to
                    record pizzicato bass before the invention of the microphone. John R.T.
                    Davies used to say that a bass player was ³present only in spirit² when he
                    felt that the player must have been in the studio because musicians you
                    could hear were apparently reacting to his playing! Slap bass therefore
                    bursts on to the recording scene fully formed.

                  • hans.eekhoff
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 25, 2011
                      Hello Jim,
                      Yes you're absolutely right, there is no single reason to assume that Redman was making it all up - quite the contrary.
                      Aural evidence, also comparison with "An Old Italian Love Song", says enough.
                      I too met (and played with) Dave Wilborn but didn't think of playing this particular side for him - I wasn't to know that so many years later it would become such an issue!
                      But I agree that Dave was not senile or anything - just a sweet guy and one helluva banjo player. I wish that some of the banjoists today stuck to the rhythm like Dave did in the MKCP days!
                      Hans Eekhoff

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 27, 2011
                        Coming back to this thread for the moment, John Chilton's "McKinney's Music" has excerpts from a 1951 interview with Sterling Bose, who said "The bands would sometimes trade arrangements to relieve the monotony of playing the same scores night after night". Bose went on to say that "My Blackbirds are Bluebirds Now", as recorded by Goldkette on Victor was actually a McKinney score. Bose claimed that the similarity of the two bands was greater in person than on records, because in the studios special pains were taken to keep the styles distinct". (Chilton 1978, p. 29, the interview was porinted in the Record Changer of November 1951).
                        "Birmingham Bertha" is not mentioned at all in Chilton's booklet or the discography by Chilton, John RT Davies and Laurie Wright published in Storyville Nos 32 and 32. For what it's worth, I think Bertha sounds like a Cotton Pickers side, but I might well be mistaken if what Bose said was true.