Inaccuracies in VJM article on the Goldkette band and McKinney's Cotton Pickers

  • hans.eekhoff
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 13, 2011
      In an article on the relation between the Goldkette Band and McKinney's Cotton Pickers, which has just appeared in VJM magazine and was written by Nick Dellow and Albert Haim, the authors sadly uphold the myth that "Birmingham Bertha", recorded for Victor and released as by the Goldkette band on Victor 22077, was indeed played entirely by the Jean Goldkette Orchestra and that no musicians
      from McKinney's Cotton Pickers were involved, in spite of the facts that it sounds clearly like the Cotton Pickers and that in an interview shortly after the war, Don Redman, who also wrote the arrangement, vividly remembered in great detail that he was called at the eleventh hour to record "Birmingham Bertha" with the Cotton Pickers because the Goldkette band had broken down with their
      bus coming back from a performance. Only accordeonist Harold Stokes made it to the studio because he had travelled in his own car.
      The extra violinists and vocalist Kay Palmer were not regular Goldkette members but had been hired for this session - hence their presence.
      I see no reason to assume that Redman made up this highly detailed story. The Goldkette band DID arrive later that day and recorded 3 titles of which "An Old Italian Love Song" was issued. This is clearly a different band from the one that recorded "Bertha" earlier that day.
      These are indisputable facts and to me and all my collecting friends there is no doubt whatsoever that it is mainly the Cotton Pickers who recorded "Birmingham Bertha". Also some of the individual musicians on this side can easily be recognized as members of the Cotton Pickers.
      I do not have the music nor the discographies here at hand so I can't be more specific but I'm sure you'll hear it too.
      On top of that - anybody who thinks that it is the same band who recorded "Birmingham Bertha" and "An old Italian Love Song" has a big hearing problem!
      Last year at the Bix Bash in Racine Phil Pospychala put the question to a dozen hardened collectors and their verdict (based only on hearing the side - I only told Redman's story after the voting) was unanimous in favour of the Cotton Pickers.
      Ate van Delden wrote all this years ago in his liner notes for the Timeless CD - but again, I do not know the exact details right now as I don't have the CD on hand here.
      Perhaps somebody can provide Redman's exact words?
    • hans.eekhoff
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 22, 2011
        I have meanwhile found the source for Redman's statement. It comes, via
        Daniel Nevers, from the famous French jazz researcher, critic and writer
        Charles Delaunay, who was then preparing the new edition of his New Hot
        Discography (although he does not list these sides in the book).
        In a letter to Ate van Delden, dated 12 February 2003, Nevers writes:

        "l'information vient de Charles Delaunay. En 1946 quand il préparait
        la nouvelle édition de sa discographie, il a pu rencontrer á Paris
        Don Redman qui dirigeait alors le premier big band noir venu en Europe
        aprés la guerre. Il lui a posé des questions sur ses propres
        disques, sur ceux avec Fletcher et aussi sur ceux des MKCP.
        Don lui a fourni de information (---) et il a précisé que sur
        "Birmingham Bertha" c'était même l'orchestre complet des MCKP qui
        jouait et a ajouté qu'il y avait eu un ou deux autres morceaux
        enregistrés au cours de la même session (Redman was absolutely
        right; the filecard gives indeed one more title: "I'm Refer'n Just To
        Her'n Me" which was rejected - HE).
        D'apres lui c'est l'orchestre régulier de Goldkette qui devait
        enregistrer ces morceaux dont lui, Redman, avait écrit les
        arrangements. Mais en venant de Detroit á Chicago le car a eu une
        panne. Don et les MCKP étaient, eux, á Chicago. On leur a donc
        téléphoné pour qu'ils remplacent les musiciens habituels. Le
        seul vrai Goldkette man, dans ce titre, est l'accordéoniste Harold
        Stokes: il était venu a Chicago dans sa voiture personelle et a donc
        pu participer a la session".

        On top of the fact that aural evidence makes it abundantly clear that on
        "Birmingham Bertha" it is indeed MKCP and not the Goldkette band, there
        is no reason to doubt Redman's vivid and highly detailed recollection of
        the occasion. Why would he make it up?

        Furthermore, the Goldkette band DID arrive in the studio later that day
        and recorded three more songs of which "An Old Italian Love Song" was
        issued. This is clearly a different band - no question about it.

        Hans Eekhoff

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "hans.eekhoff" <oriole@...> wrote:

        > In an article on the relation between the Goldkette Band and
        McKinney's Cotton Pickers, which has just appeared in VJM magazine and
        was written by Nick Dellow and Albert Haim, the authors sadly uphold the
        myth that "Birmingham Bertha", recorded for Victor and released as by
        the Goldkette band on Victor 22077, was indeed played entirely by the
        Jean Goldkette Orchestra and that no musicians
        > from McKinney's Cotton Pickers were involved, in spite of the facts
        that it sounds clearly like the Cotton Pickers and that in an interview
        shortly after the war, Don Redman, who also wrote the arrangement,
        vividly remembered in great detail that he was called at the eleventh
        hour to record "Birmingham Bertha" with the Cotton Pickers because the
        Goldkette band had broken down with their
        > bus coming back from a performance. Only accordeonist Harold Stokes
        made it to the studio because he had travelled in his own car.
        > The extra violinists and vocalist Kay Palmer were not regular
        Goldkette members but had been hired for this session - hence their
        presence.
        > I see no reason to assume that Redman made up this highly detailed
        story. The Goldkette band DID arrive later that day and recorded 3
        titles of which "An Old Italian Love Song" was issued. This is clearly a
        different band from the one that recorded "Bertha" earlier that day.
        > These are indisputable facts and to me and all my collecting friends
        there is no doubt whatsoever that it is mainly the Cotton Pickers who
        recorded "Birmingham Bertha". Also some of the individual musicians on
        this side can easily be recognized as members of the Cotton Pickers.
        > I do not have the music nor the discographies here at hand so I can't
        be more specific but I'm sure you'll hear it too.
        > On top of that - anybody who thinks that it is the same band who
        recorded "Birmingham Bertha" and "An old Italian Love Song" has a big
        hearing problem!
        > Last year at the Bix Bash in Racine Phil Pospychala put the question
        to a dozen hardened collectors and their verdict (based only on hearing
        the side - I only told Redman's story after the voting) was unanimous in
        favour of the Cotton Pickers.
        > Ate van Delden wrote all this years ago in his liner notes for the
        Timeless CD - but again, I do not know the exact details right now as I
        don't have the CD on hand here.
        > Perhaps somebody can provide Redman's exact words?

      • Nick Dellow
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 22, 2011
          The information in Daniel Nevers' letter as well as a considerable amount of
          new and relevant material are discussed in detail in Part Two of the article
          "Jean Goldkette's Post-Bix Recordings: the Don Redman Arrangements", which
          will be published in the next issue (Spring 2011) of VJM magazine.

          All I and my co-author Albert Haim would like to add at this point in time
          is that Hans Eekhoff selectively quotes from Daniel Nevers' letter to Ate
          Van Delden. On 15 March 2010, Ate kindly sent me a copy of Daniel Nevers'
          letter dated 12 February 2003. At that time in 2003, Ate was preparing his
          liner notes for the Timeless CD "The Jean Goldkette Bands 1924-1929".

          In his letter of 12 February 2003 to Ate Van Delden, in addition to comments
          about "Birmingham Bertha," Daniel Nevers states that in the same interview
          with Charles Delaunay, Don Redman said that he and other members of
          McKinney's Cotton Pickers were on Jean Goldkette's "My Blackbirds Are
          Bluebirds Now" and "Don't Be Like That" (Victor 21805). Hans Eekhoff cuts
          this part of Daniel Nevers' letter out in his posting after (- - -). The
          original French of the omitted part is as follows:

          "Il lui a pos� des questions sur ses propres disques, sur ceux avec Fletcher
          et aussi sur ceux des MKCP. Don lui a fourni des informations et lui a
          signal� que certains disques de Jean Goldkette chez Victor �taient en
          r�alit� par les MKCP - ou, du moins, qu'il y avait dans quelques uns de ces
          disques plusieurs membres des MKCP, m�lang�s avec les musiciens (blancs) de
          Goldkette. Charles lui a alors fait �couter des Goldkette de 1928-29 et Don
          a identifi� ceux dont j'ai cit� les noms dans le double RCA "Jazz Tribune" ,
          sur "My Blackbirds..." et "Don't Be Like That".

          Specifically, this part of Daniel Nevers' letter says (translated from
          French):

          "He [Delaunay] asked Don Redman about his own records, those with Fletcher
          [Henderson] and also those of the MKCP. Don provided some information and
          highlighted that some records by Jean Goldkette for Victor were actually by
          MKCP - or at least, there were on some of these recordings several members
          of MKCP mixed with the musicians (white) of the Goldkette orchestra. Charles
          then made him listen to Goldkette recordings made in 1928-29 and Don
          identified those whose names I have mentioned in the double RCA "Jazz
          Tribune", on "My Blackbirds ...." and "Don't Be Like That".

          The Timeless CD liner notes, however, state: "Two hot Goldkette titles
          resulted, 'My Blackbirds Are Bluebirds Now' and 'Don't Be Like That' of
          which this CD features two takes each. In spite of varied opinions, we also
          believe that this session was recorded by the Goldkette band and that
          similarities between these recordings and those of McKinney's Cotton Pickers
          are only due to Don Redman's arrangements and his rehearsing the orchestra."

          "Birmingham Bertha" is also a Don Redman arrangement. It is noteworthy that
          Daniel Nevers' report of Don Redman's identification of the musicians is
          adopted in the Timeless CD for "Birmingham Bertha" but not for "My
          Blackbirds Are Bluebirds Now" and "Don't Be Like That."

          Nick

          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 23, 2011
            Dellow, Haim and Berresford (the latter is the editor of VJM) have not responded to private emails to them in which I pointed out the error in their article, but since Dellow now reacts here I will do the same; apparently I now have his attention.
            Nick Dellow and Albert Haim say that I have quoted selectively from Never's letter to Ate van Delden. That is absolutely true and I did it for a good reason. I have only quoted the bit about "Birmingham Bertha" because that is the only side which is still disputed.
            Dellow/Haim may think that their article contains something new about the relation Goldkette/MCKP but that is not the case.
            Apart from on "Birmingham Bertha" no MCKP members participated in any recordings labelled as by "Jean Goldkette and his Orchestra". This has been well known and accepted for years and is absolutely no news. On the Timeless CD "Jean Goldkette Bands 1924-1929" issued in 2003, we (Ate van Delden, John R.T. Davies and I) did much discussing, listening and thorough research into the personnel of the later Goldkette Orchestra and we found no evidence that any MCKP members took part on these sides - except for "Birmingham Bertha". This is all reflected in Ate van Delden's liner notes and in the discography. If Don Reman made any specific suggestions to the contrary, we believe that he was wrong. However, from Nevers' letter it is by no means clear what Redman himself exactly said about these sides. The ONLY side he specifically mentions, in great detail, is "Birmingham Bertha" and I see no reason to doubt Redman's very vivid recollection of the occasion. Again, why would he have made it all up?
            Furthermore, close listening reveals the presence of recognizable MCKP members (most prominently Redman himself and Claude Jones), as was also noted by about a dozen experienced collectors at Phil Pospychala's Bix Bash in Racine last year. After thorough listening and analyzing the vote was unanimous in favor of MCKP, even though I only told the audience AFTER the voting about Redman's report. The fact that a hired violinist and vocalist as well as Harold Stokes' accordeon are also present and that banjoist Dave Wilborn plays mostly in twos rather than in fours did not confuse the gathering (as it apparently has done Dellow and Haim).
            But Nick Dellow is selective himself - for he ignores my mentioning of the fact that later that day three more titles were recorded, this time by the real Goldkette band who had arrived later, of which "An Old Italian Love Song" was also issued. That this is an entirely different band is so obvious even to the completely tin-eared that this alone settles the argument.
            Hans Eekhoff

            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 23, 2011
              Hans Eekhoff writes, "However, from Nevers' letter it is by no means clear
              what Redman himself exactly said about these sides."

              The section concerning "My Blackbirds Are Bluebirds Now" and "Don't Be Like
              That" in Daniel Nevers' letter to Ate Van Delden is crystal clear. In it,
              Daniel Nevers reports unequivocally that Don Redman told Charles Delaunay
              that he and other members of McKinney's Cotton Pickers were on "My
              Blackbirds Are Bluebirds Now" and "Don't Be Like That". It is all there in
              black and white (see my previous post).

              Other claims in Hans Eekhoff's posts have already been addressed in Part 2
              of our article, in which we present new and relevant information in
              considerable detail. Part 2 will be published in the next edition of VJM
              magazine.

              Nick

              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 23, 2011
                "Daniel Nevers said that Delaunay said that Don Redman said....." etc. etc.
                I repeat, it is by no means clear what Redman SPECIFICALLY said about any other title recorded by the Goldkette band, other than "Birmingham Bertha", about which he IS very detailed and precise. Unless you boldly state that Redman made that up you have to agree that it is the MKCP on that side; even if you are completely tin-eared and also think that the same band recorded "An Old Italian Love Song". Nick Dellow also says that I have made "claims" that "have already been addressed in Part 2 of our article". However, I have not made any "claims" at all. What nonsense is that? All I have done is give solid evidence that MKCP recorded "Birmingham Bertha". How can Messrs. Haim and Dellow "address", in advance, "claims" which have not been made?
                It's all very mysterious and I anxiously await that promised part 2 of the article in which Haim and Dellow, unavoidably, will say that Don Redman is a liar, that Dave Wilborn is incapable of playing in twos, that the alto soloist is not Don Redman but an unknown white musician, same for trombonist Claude Jones, that they can hear Nat Natoli and that it is one and the same band that recorded "Birmingham Bertha" as well as "An Old Italian Love Song".
                Sigh......

                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 23, 2011
                  Mr Eekhoff complains that the assignment of McKinney�s Cotton Pickers
                  musicians to the Goldkette recordings of "My Blackbirds Are Bluebirds Now"
                  and "Don't Be Like That" is third hand. Mr Eekhoff writes, �Daniel Nevers
                  said that Delaunay said that Don Redman said....."

                  Doesn�t Mr Eekhoff understand that the story of �Birmingham Bertha,� which
                  he accepts as being 100% accurate, comes from the same source? Supposedly,
                  Redman told Delaunay who told Nevers who told Van Delden �

                  Although he denies it, Eekhoff certainly makes claims in his posts � the
                  major one being that there are inaccuracies in our VJM article. Mr Eekhoff
                  has no information whatsoever about Part 2 of our article, but he claims
                  that �Haim and Dellow, unavoidably, will say [in part 2] that Don Redman is
                  a liar, that Dave Wilborn is incapable of playing in twos, that the alto
                  soloist is not Don Redman , etc. etc.�

                  Our advice to Mr Eekhoff is to wait for Part 2 of our article before he
                  makes more unsupported claims.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 23, 2011
                    Mr. Dellow, this is alas getting personal, because you are too impolite to answer emails which I send you - forcing this discussion to continue in public.
                    That is fine by me, but everybody will see that you seem unable to accept facts and to understand that Redman's statement about "Birmingham Bertha" is highly detailed while the other statements are vague.
                    And there are more valid arguments to establish with certainty that "Bertha" was recorded by MKCP - I shall not repeat them.
                    In part 1 of your article you and Haim wrote nothing that is new to the collecting fraternity - and you added a falsehood, namely that "Bertha" is NOT by MKCP.
                    Again Mr. Dellow (and please try to grasp this) my arguments are not "claims", let alone "unsupported claims" - they are logical and understanding conclusions from valid evidence.
                    You imply that you will maintain, with "new and relevant information" in part 2 that MKCP did NOT record "Bertha".
                    The only way you can support that is by calling Redman a liar, to denie all the other facts which have been mentioned and to be completely tin-eared.
                    The recipe is to twist the facts (or to ignore them) so they fit your theory.
                    It is the usual method that we are used to from your co-author, but I would like to tell you that you will NEVER convince those who just look at the plain facts and use their ears. In short - just about everybody who knows the case.
                    And I will make sure that the facts are not buried by the two of you.

                  • patrice.champarou@free.fr
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 23, 2011
                      I suspected that something nasty might happen when I saw the beginning of
                      this thread, unfortunately it did.

                      I do not think that a discussion involving previous ones, as well as private
                      mails, and ending up with members addressing each other in the third person,
                      is quite relevant here, or even interesting (please Michael correct me if
                      you think I'm wrong).

                      If you really need to carry on, maybe you could do it privateley, or take it
                      back where I guess it started.
                      Please don't force me to close the group's archives, erase previous
                      messages, and put you both under moderation.

                      And also read the group's rules, no-one needs to read hundreds of lines of
                      quotes again and again.

                      Patrice - redhotjazz-owner@yahoogroups.com
                    • hans.eekhoff
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 23, 2011
                        And I mentioned it myself in my previous posting - I tried to have this discussion in private (it did not start there).
                        Anyway, the main point should be clear for those who are interested in the matter itself.
                        My apologies - I will not carry on about it.
                        Hans Eekhoff

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 24, 2011
                          Maybe I should insist that I do not intend to stop or ban the thread in
                          itself, which is an interesting one.
                          Otherwise, I would have erased the whole of it by now...
                          No, what does not fit the mood and aim of this group is reference to old
                          quarrels which occured somewhere else, or to elements of the discussion
                          which are probably familiar to a couple of former protagonists, but far too
                          elliptic for most readers, who might mostly retain an obviously unfriendly
                          attitude (and no, I am not supposed to decide who started it, I just do not
                          want this here ;-)).

                          And that's about all, the discussion can carry on with the topic initially
                          called McKinney's Cotton Pickers and "Birmingham Bertha", without the
                          unrequested mention of a personal "addition" in the subject line, which
                          breaks the thread and lets everyone think this is by no means an open,
                          collective discussion (see group's rules there again, they also have
                          technical reasons which I already explained, a Yahoo group is not a forum).

                          Best,

                          Patrice

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 24, 2011
                            I return to the original rather provocative header.

                            I agree Patrice that aggression and insult have no place in the discussion
                            of music but I think the identification of these sides is important as also
                            is the fact that opinion has been divided on these forever -- 'Jazz
                            Directory' of 1951 has this already 'as having long been a subject of
                            controversy among collectors'.

                            The source for this controversy must pre-date Redman's 1946 remarks for it
                            appears he was specifically questioned on this issue. Redman's evidence is
                            indeed third hand report of a musician's memory. But if I read it correctly
                            he states that he and some other MKCPickers were on 'My Blackbirds' and
                            'Don't Be Like That' and that MKCP were complete on 'Birmingham Bertha'.

                            I have just listened and cannot find any immediate aural anomalies to
                            contradict Redman but is it possible that new evidence will appear with the
                            next part of the VJM article ?

                            More importantly perhaps is what the fact that these sides have been in
                            dispute for over 70 years has to say for racial theories of jazz history.

                          • hans.eekhoff
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 24, 2011
                              I very much agree with Dave that it is an important issue. Again I would again like to point out the great detail with which Redman described the occasion - hardly likely that he made it all up. Besides, when he told the story is wasn't all that long after it happened!
                              But, more importantly, the Goldkette band DID record later that day and "An Old Italian Love Song" was issued.
                              Here is a link to the tune:

                              http://www.redhotjazz.com/Songs/goldkette/oldital.ram

                              To my ears this is not the same band as the one that recorded "Bertha" earlier that day - what do you think?

                              Hans Eekhoff

                              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "David Brown" <johnhaleysims@...> wrote:

                              > I return to the original rather provocative header.
                              >
                              > I agree Patrice that aggression and insult have no place in the discussion
                              > of music but I think the identification of these sides is important as also
                              > is the fact that opinion has been divided on these forever -- 'Jazz
                              > Directory' of 1951 has this already 'as having long been a subject of
                              > controversy among collectors'.
                              >
                              > The source for this controversy must pre-date Redman's 1946 remarks for it
                              > appears he was specifically questioned on this issue. Redman's evidence is
                              > indeed third hand report of a musician's memory. But if I read it correctly
                              > he states that he and some other MKCPickers were on 'My Blackbirds' and
                              > 'Don't Be Like That' and that MKCP were complete on 'Birmingham Bertha'.
                              >
                              > I have just listened and cannot find any immediate aural anomalies to
                              > contradict Redman but is it possible that new evidence will appear with the
                              > next part of the VJM article ?
                              >
                              > More importantly perhaps is what the fact that these sides have been in
                              > dispute for over 70 years has to say for racial theories of jazz history.
                              >
                              > Dave

                            • David Weiner
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 24, 2011
                                Of course, the arrangements couldn't be more different! But the distinctive
                                sound of Nat Natoli's "nanny-goat" vibrato leading the trumpet section on
                                "Italian" is not present on "Bertha," for what it's worth.

                                Dave Weiner

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 24, 2011
                                  on 24/01/2011 15:32, David Brown at johnhaleysims@... wrote:

                                  > More importantly perhaps is what the fact that these sides have been in
                                  > dispute for over 70 years has to say for racial theories of jazz history.
                                  >
                                  > Dave

                                  Not really, Dave, just a little local difficulty in their application.
                                  Traditions don¹t cease to exist because they overlap at times.

                                  No one doubts that there are separate white and black traditions in the
                                  string band music of the American South, but there are dozens of records
                                  (many more than in jazz) which taken in isolation could hardly be assigned
                                  with confidence to one tradition or the other, though there are not many
                                  bands which recorded any significant number of sides where it is not obvious
                                  which tradition they belong to. This comes about for a lot of reasons, black
                                  bands played in white styles to extract change from white passers by, white
                                  bands played in black styles when they wanted to sound down and dirty,
                                  people copied records or performances which particularly appealed to them,
                                  and many more.

                                  You could perfectly well substitute jazz in the above. The Goldkette and
                                  McKinney bands are easy to distinguish ninety per cent of the time (well 98%
                                  actually) and the differences are due in part to their different cultural
                                  heritages. The occasions when perhaps the Goldkette band played a Don Redman
                                  arrangement in the McKinney manner, or McKinney¹s played a Goldkette
                                  arrangement because the audience they were playing for asked for it, or
                                  whatever, isn¹t that significant.

                                  I do not want to enter the main controversy, nor will I until I find out
                                  what Don Redman actually said, rather than what Daniel Nevers reported that
                                  Charles Delaunay said he said. I have done a lot of looking for this, and so
                                  has Nick Dellow to my certain knowledge, and neither of us has any axe to
                                  grind, which is not true of Delaunay or Nevers.

                                  I¹m afraid I have provisionally concluded that Delaunay conveniently took
                                  this information to the grave. But his papers are in the Bibliothèque
                                  Nationale, where they are not very accessible to anyone other than French
                                  academics. Someone could go and look at them. Maybe the actual interview
                                  transcript there.

                                • JamesJazz
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 24, 2011
                                    May I introduce myself. My name is Jim Gallert. Lars Bjorn and I wrote "Before Motown: A History of Jazz in Detroit, 1920-1960."
                                    This discussion is exactly what I hoped to find on this list - serious jazz research folks presenting information and in some cases disagreeing about stuff. I love the Cotton Pickers.
                                    I don't have any evidence contrary to Redman's comments that "Birm Bert" is a McKinney's recording. I listened to it (and all of the McK recs) with David Hutson & Dave Wilborn many years ago. I don't recall Dave's comments (if any) about this tune but I am pretty certain I would recall any revelation about it not being a Mck band.
                                    Dave was pretty sharp and didn't embellish stories once he told them, at least to me. I will review the interviews that Lars and I did with Dave (separate interviews) and will report to the group should any relevant comments surface.

                                    Dave was also a really sweet man, and had a million off-color jokes gleaned from his years as a popular MC in various Detroit clubs (post-McKinney). He later sang with the New McKinney's Cotton Pickers, but he'd been away from his strings too long and couldn't recapture his rhythm, so a vocalist he remained. Dave Wilborn was a gentle man.

                                    Jim Gallert
                                    www.detroitmusichistory.com
                                    www.jazzstage.us

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 25, 2011
                                      Hello Howard

                                      The history of early jazz big band is indeed not a black & white issue.

                                      Sudhalter makes, although does not prove, a case for Redman, the pre-eminent
                                      early black arranger and supposed father of big band style, being influenced
                                      by, and working within, the style of earlier white arrangers, notably Ferde
                                      Grofé. Challis arranged for Henderson. Does the confusion between Goldkette
                                      and MKCP not suggest that the deciding factor was more the arrangement than
                                      the race of the musicians ?

                                      Bose's solo on 'My Blackbirds' was previously attributed to Nesbitt. Steve
                                      Brown was a dominant figure among bassists and influenced black and white.

                                      As the Swing Era progressed, black influence on white swing bands increased.
                                      Almost all the big white swing bands used black arrangers. I struggle to
                                      find an exception. Anybody ? I exclude Miller from swing bands. Am I right ?
                                      Also the token blacks in white bands.

                                      Any later examples of white arrangers working for black bands ?

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 25, 2011
                                        on 25/01/2011 09:28, David Brown at johnhaleysims@... asks:

                                        ³ Does the confusion between Goldkette and MKCP not suggest that the
                                        deciding factor was more the arrangement than
                                        the race of the musicians ?²

                                        I¹m sure it has nothing to do with anybody¹s colour, but this is the wrong
                                        question, unless you suppose that Redman¹s arranging style owes nothing to
                                        his cultural inheritance, and equally that the arranging styles of
                                        Goldkette¹s arrangers owe nothing to theirs.

                                        I would be amazed if Redman and Challis did not listen to one another¹s
                                        work, and if they did not both take note of what Grofé and people even
                                        further into the straight music-world were doing. I would also expect that
                                        both would be aware of African-American arrangers like William Grant Still,
                                        Will Vodery, and especially Will Marion Cook, who may well be the ultimate
                                        father of all jazz arranging.

                                        Who influenced them is interesting but it is more interesting to me what use
                                        they made of the influence and how that was determined by various factors in
                                        their musical background.

                                        I suggested myself that the playing of one another¹s arrangements may be the
                                        source of any confusion there is between the Goldkette band and MKCP. In
                                        other words they may have been deliberately imitating one another!

                                        What actual evidence is there that Steve Brown influenced African-American
                                        bass players, bearing in mind that Bill Johnson, the oldest jazzman on
                                        record, and presumptively the inventor (though I don¹t suppose for a moment
                                        he came from nowhere either) of slap-bass playing, would have been a much
                                        more accessible model in a segregated world? There is a wonderful anthology
                                        compiled by Dick Spottswood on Dust To Digital (How Low Can You Go?) DTD-04
                                        which tends to demonstrate this point.

                                        Bass history is complicated by the fact that it was almost impossible to
                                        record pizzicato bass before the invention of the microphone. John R.T.
                                        Davies used to say that a bass player was ³present only in spirit² when he
                                        felt that the player must have been in the studio because musicians you
                                        could hear were apparently reacting to his playing! Slap bass therefore
                                        bursts on to the recording scene fully formed.

                                      • hans.eekhoff
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jan 25, 2011
                                          Hello Jim,
                                          Yes you're absolutely right, there is no single reason to assume that Redman was making it all up - quite the contrary.
                                          Aural evidence, also comparison with "An Old Italian Love Song", says enough.
                                          I too met (and played with) Dave Wilborn but didn't think of playing this particular side for him - I wasn't to know that so many years later it would become such an issue!
                                          But I agree that Dave was not senile or anything - just a sweet guy and one helluva banjo player. I wish that some of the banjoists today stuck to the rhythm like Dave did in the MKCP days!
                                          Hans Eekhoff

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jan 27, 2011
                                            Coming back to this thread for the moment, John Chilton's "McKinney's Music" has excerpts from a 1951 interview with Sterling Bose, who said "The bands would sometimes trade arrangements to relieve the monotony of playing the same scores night after night". Bose went on to say that "My Blackbirds are Bluebirds Now", as recorded by Goldkette on Victor was actually a McKinney score. Bose claimed that the similarity of the two bands was greater in person than on records, because in the studios special pains were taken to keep the styles distinct". (Chilton 1978, p. 29, the interview was porinted in the Record Changer of November 1951).
                                            "Birmingham Bertha" is not mentioned at all in Chilton's booklet or the discography by Chilton, John RT Davies and Laurie Wright published in Storyville Nos 32 and 32. For what it's worth, I think Bertha sounds like a Cotton Pickers side, but I might well be mistaken if what Bose said was true.