Dixie Washboard Band - Shake That Thing

  • Nick Dellow
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2011
      Frog Records will be releasing "Clarence Williams � Gimme Blues" (DGF 75) in
      the near future. We would like to include "Shake That Thing" by the Dixie
      Washboard Band, which would result in all the band's recordings being
      reissued for the first time, but unfortunately this side is proving to be
      somewhat elusive! According to Rust, it was released on Domino 3671, with
      "Wait Till You See My Baby Do The Charleston" on the reverse. However, the
      only known issued master pressing of the latter side is to be found on
      Oriole 565 not the Domino (the other side of Oriole 565 is a Sam Lanin
      recording!). Moreover, Rust does not list a take number for "Shake That
      Thing", providing instead a question mark next to the matrix number
      (6432-?). Was Domino 3671 ever actually issued, or is it simply phenomenally
      rare?! I know this is a long shot, but does anyone out there own a copy of
      Domino 3671 or have a clean transfer of "Shake That Thing" that we could
      use?

      Best wishes for 2011,

      Nick

    • ALAN BOND
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2011
        Hi Nick,
                       From what I recall, there is no certainty that this is the correct matrix number for this side, thus the question mark. The fact that there is a query also suggests that Brian never came across a copy of this issue. I think it is safe to assume that there are probably no copies extant or the query would have been resolved and not perpetuated in Tom Lord's 'The Jazz Discography' which stands as the current state of knowledge.
        TTFN - 007

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2011
          According to the Plaza-ARC discography Vol 1 Page 98

          "SHAKE THAT THING" (6432) and
          "WAIT TILL YOU SEE MY BABY DO THE CHARLESTON" (6431)

          were coupled on Domino 3671 as by "Lousiana Washboard Band"
          on Banner 1696 and on Regal 8003 as by "Dixie Washboard Band"

          "Wait Till You See My Baby Do The Charleston "was also issued as
          Oriole 565 as by "Dixie Jazz Band"

          But you already knew that!

          Nigel Burlinson

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2011
            I expect you know this, Nick, but the source of the listing of Domino 3671
            is a bulletin listing in Phonograph & Talking Machine News, 15 March 1926.
            The listing is not based on anyone ever having seen the record which could
            easily have been cancelled before issue.

            The Banner and Regal issues noted by Nigel Burlinson from the Plaza-ARC
            discography have never come to the attention of jazz discographers. I wonder
            where they come from. I am always fearful of deductions based on the (false)
            theory that all co-issues that might exist actually do exist.

            on 02/01/2011 12:33, Nick Dellow at nick.dellow@... wrote:

            > Frog Records will be releasing "Clarence Williams – Gimme Blues" (DGF 75) in
            > the near future. We would like to include "Shake That Thing" by the Dixie
            > Washboard Band, which would result in all the band's recordings being
            > reissued for the first time, but unfortunately this side is proving to be
            > somewhat elusive! According to Rust, it was released on Domino 3671, with
            > "Wait Till You See My Baby Do The Charleston" on the reverse. However, the
            > only known issued master pressing of the latter side is to be found on
            > Oriole 565 not the Domino (the other side of Oriole 565 is a Sam Lanin
            > recording!). Moreover, Rust does not list a take number for "Shake That
            > Thing", providing instead a question mark next to the matrix number
            > (6432-?). Was Domino 3671 ever actually issued, or is it simply phenomenally
            > rare?! I know this is a long shot, but does anyone out there own a copy of
            > Domino 3671 or have a clean transfer of "Shake That Thing" that we could
            > use?
            >

            > Best wishes for 2011,
            >

            > Nick

          • ALAN BOND
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 2, 2011
              Hi Howard,
                                   I'm with you on this one. The evidence that this particular side was ever issued at all is very sketchy and it is only mentioned in one particular issue of a magazine. For this reason BALR has attached a question mark in 'Jazz Records'. Unless a copy comes to light I think we can safely say that it is unlikely to have been issued at all.
              TTFN - 007

              I expect you know this, Nick, but the source of the listing of Domino 3671
              is a bulletin listing in Phonograph & Talking Machine News, 15 March 1926.
              The listing is not based on anyone ever having seen the record which could
              easily have been cancelled before issue.

              The Banner and Regal issues noted by Nigel Burlinson from the Plaza-ARC
              discography have never come to the attention of jazz discographers. I wonder
              where they come from. I am always fearful of deductions based on the (false)
              theory that all co-issues that might exist actually do exist.

              on 02/01/2011 12:33, Nick Dellow at nick.dellow@... wrote:

              > Frog Records will be releasing "Clarence Williams – Gimme Blues" (DGF 75) in
              > the near future. We would like to include "Shake That Thing" by the Dixie
              > Washboard Band, which would result in all the band's recordings being
              > reissued for the first time, but unfortunately this side is proving to be
              > somewhat elusive! According to Rust, it was released on Domino 3671, with
              > "Wait Till You See My Baby Do The Charleston" on the reverse. However, the
              > only known issued master pressing of the latter side is to be found on
              > Oriole 565 not the Domino (the other side of Oriole 565 is a Sam Lanin
              > recording!). Moreover, Rust does not list a take number for "Shake That
              > Thing", providing instead a question mark next to the matrix number
              > (6432-?). Was Domino 3671 ever actually issued, or is it simply phenomenally
              > rare?! I know this is a long shot, but does anyone out there own a copy of
              > Domino 3671 or have a clean transfer of "Shake That Thing" that we could
              > use?
              >

              > Best wishes for 2011,
              >

              > Nick

            • Nick Dellow
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 3, 2011
                Dear Howard, Alan and Nigel,

                Many thanks for your comments regarding "Shake That Thing". Your help is
                much appreciated. From what you report, it seems highly likely that this
                side was never issued.

                Nick