Re: Take It Easy

  • jimjasion
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 5, 2010
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "bvkct" <bvkct@...> wrote:

      > Take it easy with the criticism of the red hot jazz web site. It is the best anthology of traditional jazz that I have ever seen and is a total marvel. It is a superb teaching tool to show students how jazz developed.
      >
      > Yes, there may be some errors, but so what? Almost all publications have some small errors. I continue to be amazed by the depth and quality of the work.
      >
      > E Bideau
      > Tioga Township Dixieland Jazz Band

      My experience, since RealPlayer prompted me to uninstall the version I had and install their so-called "New and Improved" Version 10 has been the following:

      I can get into the site. I can access the text information and even the links to the music.

      I got into "Irving Aaronson's Commanders" and was able to access "If I Had You" and it played however, it cut off the first 1/2 second or so of the music. When I tried to restart it, the playback started 'hiccuping' in short bursts, the first 1/2 or so of the recording and it stayed stuck there, and all my other screens were frozen. I had to cold reboot. Other places in the website are worse. I tried getting into "Last Night On The Back Porch" by the "Varsity Eight" and it wouldn't let me in at all, just went right into the hiccuping/locking mode.

      I think the problem is not with this website, but the NEW VERSION of RealPlayer with all its bells and whistles for the Iphone, SmartPhone, 'Droid ( as the kids call it) and other expanded services cell phone applications.

      This problem seems to affect the older files on www.dismuke.com as well, not the newer ones, put on with more recent VERSIONS of RealPlayer. I found this out when I tested this theory out on www.dismuke.org.

      Has anyone here figured out a way to test this out by de-installing the current version of RealPlayer on their machines and finding a reliable website with a legacy version of RealPlayer ( version before release 10 and re-installing THAT?

      I'd like to know if there are any software literate people here.

      Contact me -

      Jim Jasion - JCJasion@...

      Is there a way to E-mail Scott directly. I get a Mailer Daemean message when I try to E-mail him.

      Who else can I contact with this theory?