Difficulties in Accessing data

  • jimjasion
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 5, 2010
      Dear Folks:

      The problem with me seems to have started when I downloaded the NEW version of RealPlayer. Version 10. It's got all these bells and whistles to be able to interface with Iphones, social websites, and other new ways of 'sharing' data. My problem with the Real files 'hiccuping' and just locking the screen when I try to play them back exist not only on this file but also on the older files on www.dismuke.org.

      I tried E-mailing Scott on this but my e-mail was rejected. I guess Scott is getting inundated with e-mails.

      Is anyone at still using an older version of RealPlayer?

      Has anyone tried to find where one can SAFELY find an older version to install?

      Jim Jasion - Jazz Musician - Founder/Moderator - Somerset Jazz Consortium and Jazz Groove Jam Sessions -
    • patrice.champarou@free.fr
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 5, 2010
        Jim, I allowed both of your messages in case someone could provide you some
        help, but I think these questions are not relevant to the group's topic.
        There have been several brief discussions here about temporary problems
        accessing to the RHJ files, and the best tip was always to wait until things
        were fixed, rather than fiddling with one's parameters. But here, what you
        mention seems to concern nothing else than *your* system.
        There must be plenty of forums devoted to the Realplayer, its versions and
        where to dowload them, with much more experienced people.

        > I tried E-mailing Scott on this but my e-mail was rejected.

        Oh, really ? How surprising!
        If you happened to read the group's messages from time to time, you'd know
        his address has been bouncing for nearly two years.

        Now, I *never* had a single problem with the free versions of the
        realplayer, which I installed on various different computers and operating
        systems : no unrequested ads, no hassle, no nothing (as long as you
        configure it properly). You can easily Google for older versions, but I
        cannot guarantee they will work. All I know is that, before suspecting the
        software, it is safer to wonder about one's connection, speed, and amount of
        memory.
        A streamed soundfile (or video) wich gets "stuck" after a few seconds, and
        later starts hiccupping, is typically a buffering problem. Not necessarily
        related to the version you use or the site it comes from, rather with the
        weight (and bitrate) of the file you are trying to access.
        I wouldn't mind trying to help you with a more precise diagnosis, for which
        you should provide the usual nasty details about your system, but please not
        here ;-)

        One way to check by yourself would be to download the Realplayer alternative
        http://www.free-codecs.com/download/real_alternative.htm and see how things
        work.