Re: [RedHotJazz] Anyone know why the main site is down?

  • patrice.champarou@free.fr
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 4, 2010
      I personally wish this discussion to be over, but since (for once) I started
      replying to a query regarding the RHJ site, here we go :

      The most important thing (which I already mentioned) is, I think, that we
      can expect the site to keep working at least until December 2011.
      The have been so many temporary failures over the years that I suppose the
      safest thing, now that we've lost concact with Scott, is to wait until
      things are settled.

      Another comment is that I think one of the reasons why Scott chose the
      realaudio format was that he simply did not want his files to be downloaded.

      Plenty of things have changed since then, not only the actual downloading
      facility offered by the latest version of the Realplayer, but also the
      amazing number of free downloads now offered all over the web, with the more
      or less valid excuse of public domain status.

      Keeping a streaming protocol, rather than dowloadable mp3's with better
      sound quality is, among other things, a way to expressly support the efforts
      of the few small records companies which still remaster, publish, and of
      course, expect to sell pre-war music. I suppose I do not have to elaborate
      any further about this.
      Another, very important thing is that Scott's labor of love cannot be
      compared to large streaming websites supported by ads and/or some related
      commercial activities, which can afford to pay for broadcasting music. We
      did fear, a couple of years ago, that new directives regarding online
      radios in the US might kill the Archives for good, I do not know much about
      these questions but if I consider the crazy ambiguities of French law, I
      assume the risk is still pending.

      This is why I've always tried to be as discreet as possible about
      downloading, and I encourage everyone here to do the same. Of course I am
      not candid, the possibility of capturing online music has always existed, be
      it only by recording what comes out of your soundcard.

      I am not exerting any censorship here, but please remember that discussing
      some questions privately with other members you know or trust is still a
      possibility, and sometimes a more efficient one than making them public. Up
      to your judgement, and I must add that this group is the only one I've known
      or run where there are nearly no "moderating" problems, because of
      everyone's self-discipline.

      Best,

      Patrice

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 4, 2010
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 4, 2010
          Sorry, I guess I went a little overboard with this, partially because
          of my fear that the site might disappear some day...
          If this wasn't a realistic possibility, I would never have said anything
          publicly, and now after reading your last message I will stop talking
          about it - done.
          One clarification: MP3s when played through a Flash interface are not
          particularly easy to download either unless you know a few tricks.