Re: [RedHotJazz] Anyone know why the main site is down?

  • Richard Lund
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 3, 2010
      Sorry, too late :-)
      I am using httracks actually after trying a few others that just didn't
      work at all...
      My hope is that I can download all the RAM files, parse them into one
      large text file and have a Real Audio downloader pull them all when it's
      done.
      But I am encountering quite a few 404 (page/object not found) errors.
      The program ran overnight and just finished its first run, so I told it
      to go again.
      The program IS fairly slow given my fast connection, so I don't think
      I'm overloading the server :-)

      On 12/3/2010 4:08 AM, patrice.champarou@... wrote:

      > Sorry for the tecchy discussion here, but Richard, just to save you and
      > anyone else a lot of disappointment :
      > you *can* download the whole site, but you'll only get the pages, not the
      > soundfiles which are stored in
      > a protected folder, and "called" by separate streaming files (all in the
      > "songs" folder).
      > These are not the songs themselves, but .ram files, so a backup of the
      > site
      > on your computer won't work.
      > Unless, of course, you have enough time on your side to record
      > thousands of
      > samples, convert, rename and reorganize them into your own folders, and
      > rewrite all links in each of the html pages. I am too busy/lazy to
      > make an
      > estimation of the time it would take...
      >
      > I already thought of these problems when Scott was considering moving his
      > site to France, I think it should either be kept as is (and no-one but
      > Scott
      > has access to the whole content, as far as I know) or completely
      > rewritten,
      > using a CMS which would indeed save a lot time, and allow more
      > functions -
      > like new entries or minor corrections, for a limited number of
      > contributors
      > with the relevant permissions.
      >
      > Not that the purely informative part is not instructive enough in
      > itself, I
      > saved it years ago.
      > But please don't all rush on HTTracks together, or we'll do know why the
      > server is getting slow! ;-))
      >
      > Patrice

    • Richard Lund
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 4, 2010
        Well, after 3 days of experimenting I had to finally give up on
        downloading/archiving the site...
        Apart from the fact that I received at least 2 dozen "file not found"
        errors, I could not find a program that would allow me to batch download
        the over 9,000 (!!!) song files...
        I was able to get the URLs from the header files and combine them into
        one text file, but there is no reliable program out there that will a)
        load a list of URLs, b) download the old PNM protocol and c) work
        without crashing randomly...
        In fact, Streambox was the only program that came close, but it crashes
        to frequently that the work I'd have to put into keeping it going would
        not make it worth the little time I have available.

        I can only hope that Scott finally will answer again and let us know of
        his plans.

        If he should contact someone, I would like to offer an alternate
        technology for serving the audio files - they could be stored in better
        quality as MP3 files and played through a Flash interface (which is a
        lot more common to find pre-installed than Real Player). Hopefully he
        kept the original quality sound bites archived somewhere...

        Anyway, that's neither here nor there until he surfaces again.

        In any case, except for some "file not found" errors, the few audio
        files that the program tried to download were downloaded successfully,
        so it would seem that at least most of the site is still intact.
      • patrice.champarou@free.fr
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 4, 2010
          I personally wish this discussion to be over, but since (for once) I started
          replying to a query regarding the RHJ site, here we go :

          The most important thing (which I already mentioned) is, I think, that we
          can expect the site to keep working at least until December 2011.
          The have been so many temporary failures over the years that I suppose the
          safest thing, now that we've lost concact with Scott, is to wait until
          things are settled.

          Another comment is that I think one of the reasons why Scott chose the
          realaudio format was that he simply did not want his files to be downloaded.

          Plenty of things have changed since then, not only the actual downloading
          facility offered by the latest version of the Realplayer, but also the
          amazing number of free downloads now offered all over the web, with the more
          or less valid excuse of public domain status.

          Keeping a streaming protocol, rather than dowloadable mp3's with better
          sound quality is, among other things, a way to expressly support the efforts
          of the few small records companies which still remaster, publish, and of
          course, expect to sell pre-war music. I suppose I do not have to elaborate
          any further about this.
          Another, very important thing is that Scott's labor of love cannot be
          compared to large streaming websites supported by ads and/or some related
          commercial activities, which can afford to pay for broadcasting music. We
          did fear, a couple of years ago, that new directives regarding online
          radios in the US might kill the Archives for good, I do not know much about
          these questions but if I consider the crazy ambiguities of French law, I
          assume the risk is still pending.

          This is why I've always tried to be as discreet as possible about
          downloading, and I encourage everyone here to do the same. Of course I am
          not candid, the possibility of capturing online music has always existed, be
          it only by recording what comes out of your soundcard.

          I am not exerting any censorship here, but please remember that discussing
          some questions privately with other members you know or trust is still a
          possibility, and sometimes a more efficient one than making them public. Up
          to your judgement, and I must add that this group is the only one I've known
          or run where there are nearly no "moderating" problems, because of
          everyone's self-discipline.

          Best,

          Patrice

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 4, 2010
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 4, 2010
              Sorry, I guess I went a little overboard with this, partially because
              of my fear that the site might disappear some day...
              If this wasn't a realistic possibility, I would never have said anything
              publicly, and now after reading your last message I will stop talking
              about it - done.
              One clarification: MP3s when played through a Flash interface are not
              particularly easy to download either unless you know a few tricks.