Re: [RedHotJazz] Mabel´s Dream

  • Leif R. Blom
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 28, 2010
      Thank you Dave,

      I think I´ve read somewhere about the name too,
      but I can´t find it out.

      Yarel

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 28, 2010
        Hi Folks,
                      the tune 'I' going away to wear you off my mind' has composer credits by Warren Smith, Lloyd Smith and Clarence Johnson with copyright dates shown as 21st July 1922, 25th October 1922 & 22nd November 1922. 'Mabel's dream' is shown as Ike Smith and copyright date was 16th November 1923. All gleaned from 'Joe Oliver' by Brian Rust & Walter C Allen.
        TTFN - 007

        According to some quick Internet research (not verified yet ) the
        original name of the song was "Maybelle's Dream" but I have not gotten
        much further on Ike Smith than that...

        Dave Richoux

        On Nov 4, 2010, at 3:06 AM, Leif R. Blom wrote:

        > Does anyone know something about this tune? Composed by an Ike Smith
        > - who is he
        > ?
        > Is he the same man Smith, composer of I´m going away just to wear
        > you off my
        > mind ?
        > Also played by the Oliver Band. Are the tunes new at that time, just
        > composed
        > for Oliver ?
        > I´ll be grateful for any answers
        > Yarel

      • jimjasion
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 5, 2010
          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "bvkct" <bvkct@...> wrote:

          > Take it easy with the criticism of the red hot jazz web site. It is the best anthology of traditional jazz that I have ever seen and is a total marvel. It is a superb teaching tool to show students how jazz developed.
          >
          > Yes, there may be some errors, but so what? Almost all publications have some small errors. I continue to be amazed by the depth and quality of the work.
          >
          > E Bideau
          > Tioga Township Dixieland Jazz Band

          My experience, since RealPlayer prompted me to uninstall the version I had and install their so-called "New and Improved" Version 10 has been the following:

          I can get into the site. I can access the text information and even the links to the music.

          I got into "Irving Aaronson's Commanders" and was able to access "If I Had You" and it played however, it cut off the first 1/2 second or so of the music. When I tried to restart it, the playback started 'hiccuping' in short bursts, the first 1/2 or so of the recording and it stayed stuck there, and all my other screens were frozen. I had to cold reboot. Other places in the website are worse. I tried getting into "Last Night On The Back Porch" by the "Varsity Eight" and it wouldn't let me in at all, just went right into the hiccuping/locking mode.

          I think the problem is not with this website, but the NEW VERSION of RealPlayer with all its bells and whistles for the Iphone, SmartPhone, 'Droid ( as the kids call it) and other expanded services cell phone applications.

          This problem seems to affect the older files on www.dismuke.com as well, not the newer ones, put on with more recent VERSIONS of RealPlayer. I found this out when I tested this theory out on www.dismuke.org.

          Has anyone here figured out a way to test this out by de-installing the current version of RealPlayer on their machines and finding a reliable website with a legacy version of RealPlayer ( version before release 10 and re-installing THAT?

          I'd like to know if there are any software literate people here.

          Contact me -

          Jim Jasion - JCJasion@...

          Is there a way to E-mail Scott directly. I get a Mailer Daemean message when I try to E-mail him.

          Who else can I contact with this theory?