Re: [RedHotJazz] Mabel´s Dream

  • Bob Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 8, 2010
      Dear Leif,

      Sorry I can't help with any information about 'Mabel's Dream' other than to say it was copyrighted on November 16, 1923 that was about one month after King Oliver recorded it.
      'I'm Going Away To Wear You Off My Mind' wasn't composed by Ike Smith, but by Warren Smith, Lloyd Smith, and Clarence Johnson.
      I'm not surprised at this surmise, we Smiths have the second most common surname on the planet

      Kind Regards

      Bob Smith

    • Leif R. Blom
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 8, 2010
        Thank you Bob for that information.
        Is Ike Smith perhaps noted for some other tunes
        or is this the one and only?
        yarel

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2010
          There are three recordings of Mabel's Dream by the Creole Jazz Band. On the RHJA
          site the best version IMHO is missing - I don't know why. In addition, it has
          the same date as the other two versions, which is incorrect. The OKeh 8487
          version has a wonderful cornet duet by Oliver and Armstrong which to me is one
          of the highlights of all the Creole Band recordings. (A second session has two
          takes.)
          The discographical information that I have, based on CD notes, also indicates
          confusion as to the actual recording dates of the two sessions, and even
          confusion as to which recording session came first.
          Does anybody know if these recording dates have been settled?

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 8, 2010
            Hi folks,
                            According to both Brian Rust and Walter C Allen the first Creole Jazz Band session was correctly given on the recording session cards as 6th April 1923. This was backed up by, I believe, Johnny Dodds who recalled that the band recorded about eight or nine titles on 'a sunny April day' in 1923. This would seem to be conclusive when taken with the fact that the matrix numbers are consecutive. The originally quoted date of 31st March was mistakenly taken from the Gennett numerical ledger wherein the Oliver session is undated.
                            Of all the CJB band recordings the best for sound quality are the Columbias 0f 15/16 October. The December session at Paramount's produced two takes of Mabel's dream neither of which, in my opinion are as lively as the Okeh version and I have to agree with you the earlier version is rather special..
                            There rumours that a test pressing exists of  'If you want my heart' from the October Gennett session but it has never appeared even though it was scheduled for Gennett 5276. What a pity that most of these smaller companies weren't as fastidious at keeping masters as were Victor or Vocalion. If they had been we would have had a few more KOCJB sides to enlighten us.
            TTFN - 007