Re: [RedHotJazz] Take It Easy

  • patrice.champarou@free.fr
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2010
      -----Message d'origine-----
      From: bvkct
      Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 4:10 PM
      To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [RedHotJazz] Take It Easy

      > Take it easy with the criticism of the red hot jazz web site. It is the
      > best anthology of traditional jazz that I have ever seen and is a total
      > marvel. It is a superb teaching tool to show students how jazz developed.

      > Yes, there may be some errors, but so what? Almost all publications
      > have some small errors. I continue to be amazed by the depth and quality
      > of the work.

      First the ADMIN part :

      I suppose you meant "PLEASE take it easy..."
      And since there hasn't been a previous "Take it easy" topic, there CANNOT
      be any "re: Take it Easy".

      Well there is one, from this post on... but this is NOT the Bix forum, the
      archives are organized by threads and a "re:" with an unrelated subject line
      is the most confusing thing one can figure out on a Yahoo group.

      Now for the personal one :

      Everyone acknowledges the huge interest of this monumental work, but
      what you call criticism has nothing negative, on the contrary.
      It only means feeling involved in the ways the website could be improved,
      rather than prosternating in front of a frozen museum piece.

      Some things cannot be altered, even if one wished to, because it would mean
      re-writing the whole site from scratch. Like more searching facilities, the
      possibility of listing numbers according to different criteria, or
      presenting them in another order than alphabetical...
      The truth (and this is no criticism) is that no-one today would consider
      building such a huge website in pure html, without a database, and with such
      deprecated techniques as tables and framesets, also adopting a streaming
      protocol which was already obsolete six years ago - not mentioning the poor
      quality of the
      samples.
      It works, for the time being, and loads much faster than many a crazy
      website with flashy anims or pics, or endless intros. Procedures which are
      just as outdated as the ones I mentioned.
      But for how long, and on how many of today's and tomorrow's browsers, I
      really
      cannot tell.

      I worked on Scott's templates years ago - only three pages I filled in with
      Django stuff - and he was already aware, at the time, that manually
      inserting data and links between the too familiar <td> and </td> tags was
      one of the less rewarding taks one could think of.

      Back to the previous comment, I remember there *were* corrections, applied
      after they had been suggested by some of this group's members.
      They mainly concerned wrong links to soundfiles - and once again, there is
      nothing easier than confusion when you type everything by hand.

      Now, I think the best thing which could happen to the Archives would be a
      bit of interaction - like the possibility of correcting wrong
      information, adding articles and data.
      The only way to keep them, and this group, alive in the next
      future IMO.
      And without prostituting themselves to the current fashions or
      latest gimmicks, pre-war history and music need to adapt to the
      not-so-young-already generations.

      Hoc censeo... etc. etc.

      Patrice

      P.S. Since no-one replied, except for one (rejected) attempt to suggest the
      whole planet to look for the RHJ contact addresses, I will undertake the
      task of getting in touch with whoever is currently in charge of the website,
      and let you know. Not done yet? Sorry, I am not a full-time mod, not even a
      full-time anything. Help and advice gladly accepted, uncontrolled
      interference, no way!
    • EarlyJazzDixie
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2010
        Patrice,
        Well said. If there's anything I can do to help please let me know.
        RHJA is invaluable. Period.
        Ric Giorgi

        _____

> [...]

        Now, I think the best thing which could happen to the Archives would be a
        bit of interaction - like the possibility of correcting wrong
        information, adding articles and data.
        The only way to keep them, and this group, alive in the next
        future IMO.
        And without prostituting themselves to the current fashions or
        latest gimmicks, pre-war history and music need to adapt to the
        not-so-young-already generations.

        Hoc censeo... etc. etc.

        Patrice

        P.S. Since no-one replied, except for one (rejected) attempt to suggest the
        whole planet to look for the RHJ contact addresses, I will undertake the
        task of getting in touch with whoever is currently in charge of the website,
        and let you know. Not done yet? Sorry, I am not a full-time mod, not even a
        full-time anything. Help and advice gladly accepted, uncontrolled

        No virus found in this message.

      • Leif R. Blom
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 2010
          Does anyone know something about this tune? Composed by an Ike Smith - who is he
          ?
          Is he the same man Smith, composer of I´m going away just to wear you off my
          mind ?
          Also played by the Oliver Band. Are the tunes new at that time, just composed
          for Oliver ?
          I´ll be grateful for any answers
          Yarel

          ________________________________

> [...]

          Now, I think the best thing which could happen to the Archives would be a
          bit of interaction - like the possibility of correcting wrong
          information, adding articles and data.
          The only way to keep them, and this group, alive in the next
          future IMO.
          And without prostituting themselves to the current fashions or
          latest gimmicks, pre-war history and music need to adapt to the
          not-so-young-already generations.

          Hoc censeo... etc. etc.

          Patrice

          P.S. Since no-one replied, except for one (rejected) attempt to suggest the
          whole planet to look for the RHJ contact addresses, I will undertake the
          task of getting in touch with whoever is currently in charge of the website,
          and let you know. Not done yet? Sorry, I am not a full-time mod, not even a
          full-time anything. Help and advice gladly accepted, uncontrolled

        • David M Richoux
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 27, 2010
            According to some quick Internet research (not verified yet ) the
            original name of the song was "Maybelle's Dream" but I have not gotten
            much further on Ike Smith than that...

            Dave Richoux

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 28, 2010
              Thank you Dave,

              I think I´ve read somewhere about the name too,
              but I can´t find it out.

              Yarel

              ________________________________
              According to some quick Internet research (not verified yet ) the
              original name of the song was "Maybelle's Dream" but I have not gotten
              much further on Ike Smith than that...

              Dave Richoux

              On Nov 4, 2010, at 3:06 AM, Leif R. Blom wrote:

              > Does anyone know something about this tune? Composed by an Ike Smith
              > - who is he
              > ?
              > Is he the same man Smith, composer of I´m going away just to wear
              > you off my
              > mind ?
              > Also played by the Oliver Band. Are the tunes new at that time, just
              > composed
              > for Oliver ?
              > I´ll be grateful for any answers
              > Yarel

            • ALAN BOND
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 28, 2010
                Hi Folks,
                              the tune 'I' going away to wear you off my mind' has composer credits by Warren Smith, Lloyd Smith and Clarence Johnson with copyright dates shown as 21st July 1922, 25th October 1922 & 22nd November 1922. 'Mabel's dream' is shown as Ike Smith and copyright date was 16th November 1923. All gleaned from 'Joe Oliver' by Brian Rust & Walter C Allen.
                TTFN - 007

                According to some quick Internet research (not verified yet ) the
                original name of the song was "Maybelle's Dream" but I have not gotten
                much further on Ike Smith than that...

                Dave Richoux

                On Nov 4, 2010, at 3:06 AM, Leif R. Blom wrote:

                > Does anyone know something about this tune? Composed by an Ike Smith
                > - who is he
                > ?
                > Is he the same man Smith, composer of I´m going away just to wear
                > you off my
                > mind ?
                > Also played by the Oliver Band. Are the tunes new at that time, just
                > composed
                > for Oliver ?
                > I´ll be grateful for any answers
                > Yarel

              • jimjasion
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 5, 2010
                  --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "bvkct" <bvkct@...> wrote:

                  > Take it easy with the criticism of the red hot jazz web site. It is the best anthology of traditional jazz that I have ever seen and is a total marvel. It is a superb teaching tool to show students how jazz developed.
                  >
                  > Yes, there may be some errors, but so what? Almost all publications have some small errors. I continue to be amazed by the depth and quality of the work.
                  >
                  > E Bideau
                  > Tioga Township Dixieland Jazz Band

                  My experience, since RealPlayer prompted me to uninstall the version I had and install their so-called "New and Improved" Version 10 has been the following:

                  I can get into the site. I can access the text information and even the links to the music.

                  I got into "Irving Aaronson's Commanders" and was able to access "If I Had You" and it played however, it cut off the first 1/2 second or so of the music. When I tried to restart it, the playback started 'hiccuping' in short bursts, the first 1/2 or so of the recording and it stayed stuck there, and all my other screens were frozen. I had to cold reboot. Other places in the website are worse. I tried getting into "Last Night On The Back Porch" by the "Varsity Eight" and it wouldn't let me in at all, just went right into the hiccuping/locking mode.

                  I think the problem is not with this website, but the NEW VERSION of RealPlayer with all its bells and whistles for the Iphone, SmartPhone, 'Droid ( as the kids call it) and other expanded services cell phone applications.

                  This problem seems to affect the older files on www.dismuke.com as well, not the newer ones, put on with more recent VERSIONS of RealPlayer. I found this out when I tested this theory out on www.dismuke.org.

                  Has anyone here figured out a way to test this out by de-installing the current version of RealPlayer on their machines and finding a reliable website with a legacy version of RealPlayer ( version before release 10 and re-installing THAT?

                  I'd like to know if there are any software literate people here.

                  Contact me -

                  Jim Jasion - JCJasion@...

                  Is there a way to E-mail Scott directly. I get a Mailer Daemean message when I try to E-mail him.

                  Who else can I contact with this theory?