Re: contact for Scott Alexander

  • jazzpianist
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 22, 2010
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Patrice Champarou" <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:

      > I was about to send a private reply, the short answer being that no-one has
      > a clue, and you're not the only one seriously wondering what's become of
      > Scott.

      I have wondered the same, and it was what led me to this group in fact. While it is a terrific sites, there are some maintenance issues (incorrect music links among other things) and some corrections that need to be applied as well on some of the biographies (all verifiable and documented from my end).

      It is frustrating to not be able to find the author/curator of such a valuable resource. My main motivation is due to how information is spread any more. I know that many sections of biographies on my site are directly quoted and spread like wildfire at times, but at least in more than half the cases I am attributed - and yes, I sometimes have to do language conversions to be certain, since it is a worldwide thing.

      But more than anything, when new facts surface that override older ones that may have been put forward by the original subject of the biography (usually birth dates and years, but other factoids as well), I do all I can to reach out to other sites to apply this new information so we are all, in a sense, on the same page with this information. Helpful for researchers, but also even more helpful for overall credibility. Wikipedia is easy enough to tackle, and I have worked on a couple hundred articles there - some of them simply atrocious before I started - and massaged them into something more resembling fact. The Library of Congress is actually easier, and since I have a working relationship with them (I live in the area and research on site), they usually apply my corrections quickly and without question, since I usually send the supporting data.

      So it's not about my information being better than anybody else's - it is not always that way. It's more about making sure there is some universal baseline on each of these composers so facts and numbers agree with each other, which means they agree also with Census and draft records, newspaper articles, birth certificates (which eats up a lot of my research budget), and other bits of corroborative information. I rely on my colleagues at times for verifying my new finds, and either supporting them or proving them less than accurate with a better source. In the end, the information stream keeps improving that way.

      Maybe Scott will see this and hopefully respond in some way. I have not done any extensive searches for him, but also don't know when the last update was. Obviously he (or someone) is paying for yearly domain updates, so there has to be a curator somewhere.

      If I find out, and have permission to do so, I'll post here. Perhaps it will also get changed on his site.

      Finest, Bill E.
    • drjazztb@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 30, 2010
        Yes...where is he anyway? I have problems with some misidentifications of
        many of the players on a good many records that I'd like him to correct. I
        presume a blunder like the one below couldn't be attributed to Scott so
        must assume he delved out the research to someone other than himself:

        Art Hodges rather than the correct name Art Hodes, whom you all know
        otherwise you wouldn't be here. That's just e pluribus unum.

        Love the site though and spend much too much time here.

        --- In _RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com) ,

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 31, 2010
          Good e-mail. I'll be looking forward to what you find out.

          Thanks.

          Ted

          In a message dated 10/31/2010 5:31:58 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
          drjazztb@... writes:

          If I find out, and have permission to do so, I'll post here. Perhaps it
          will also get changed on his site.

        • Leif R. Blom
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 31, 2010
            About Scott, I wrote this for about five (5) years ago to him.
            (scott@...)
            And that was not the first time I wrote, I found a lot of mistakes.
            As I know, their was nothing corrected even then.
            I think he had left the problems to some-one else.

            yarel

            Hello,
            as a member of the Yahoo-mailgroup, it seems to be of little idea to have
            questions about the RHJ-Archive.
            No-one cares and they all bring the problems forward to you; so I´ll mail to you
            directly.
            Now I have a problem with the Jimtown Blues.
            I think the recording of the Stomping Six is the same as the recording of Fatty
            Martin´s.
            They have different protocol-names, but I can hear no difference.
            And there is a mix between Farewell Blues and Snakes Hips at The Georgians. I
            think it will be easily corrected.
            Concerning the Jungle Kings it might be a labelling error. (?)
            Finally I must say I am happy about the Archive, it has really enlarged my
            views.

            greetings

            yarel

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 31, 2010
              It just occurred to me that someone has to be paying his hosting company
              to keep the site online. "Follow the money"?

            • patrice.champarou@free.fr
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 1, 2010
                Message 7 of 10 , May 23, 2011
                  You ever find Scott Alexander?