Re: [RedHotJazz] contact for Scott Alexander

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 9, 2010
      From: "Franklisa" <FrankLisa@...>
      Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 8:40 PM
      To: <RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [RedHotJazz] contact for Scott Alexander

      > I am trying to reach Scott Alexander so I can quote the Red Hot Jazz site
      > in its entry on the Texas Blue Destroyer and Bubber Miley. However, the
      > email address for Scott on the site is defunct. Any help?
      >

      > Thanks!

      I was about to send a private reply, the short answer being that no-one has
      a clue, and you're not the only one seriously wondering what's become of
      Scott.
      But although I know nearly nothing about copyright rules and fair use, I
      suppose it is already a correct attitude to mention the source of one's
      quotes. Do webpages, liner notes, or other types of publication which copy
      brief intros from AMG, articles from online sources, data from published
      discographies, request permission every time, or just provide the relevant
      credit to the authors/publishers? I mean, when they do - I was sometimes
      surprised to see some of my own articles reproduced without any reference to
      the websites who were kind enough to publish them.
      I am taking the risk of an implicit suggestion here, expecting that some who
      know better than me might add corrections or warnings.
      If I were cynical, I'd say it would be good news if Scott sued you for
      borrowing four lines from one of his webpage, at last we would hear from him
      after over two years' silence... but the little I used to know him, at the
      time we were in touch, makes me doubt it will ever happen.

      Patrice
    • Franklisa
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 9, 2010
        I always think it best to give credit where is credit is due; as long as proper attribution is provided, I believe it is fair to quote. But, I always try to clear it with the author for 2 reasons: it's the right thing to do, and second, sometimes the original author has other details to share. I hope Scott turns up safe and sound some day, his site is amazing. I'm writing liners for an LP recorded in 1976, a duo on guitar and reed organ, and the guitarists' life mirrored in some ways Bubber Miley, hence the quotes. The liners are for the first LP in a series of LPs of the work of Peter Laughner:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Laughner

        Frank Mauceri
        Smog Veil Records
        1658 N Milwaukee Ave #284
        Chicago, IL 60647

        http://www.SmogVeil.com

        p: 773-706-0450
        f: 312-276-8519

        > I am trying to reach Scott Alexander so I can quote the Red Hot Jazz site
        > in its entry on the Texas Blue Destroyer and Bubber Miley. However, the
        > email address for Scott on the site is defunct. Any help?
        >

        > Thanks!

        I was about to send a private reply, the short answer being that no-one has
        a clue, and you're not the only one seriously wondering what's become of
        Scott.
        But although I know nearly nothing about copyright rules and fair use, I
        suppose it is already a correct attitude to mention the source of one's
        quotes. Do webpages, liner notes, or other types of publication which copy
        brief intros from AMG, articles from online sources, data from published
        discographies, request permission every time, or just provide the relevant
        credit to the authors/publishers? I mean, when they do - I was sometimes
        surprised to see some of my own articles reproduced without any reference to
        the websites who were kind enough to publish them.
        I am taking the risk of an implicit suggestion here, expecting that some who
        know better than me might add corrections or warnings.
        If I were cynical, I'd say it would be good news if Scott sued you for
        borrowing four lines from one of his webpage, at last we would hear from him
        after over two years' silence... but the little I used to know him, at the
        time we were in touch, makes me doubt it will ever happen.

      • jazzpianist
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 22, 2010
          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Patrice Champarou" <patrice.champarou@...> wrote:

          > I was about to send a private reply, the short answer being that no-one has
          > a clue, and you're not the only one seriously wondering what's become of
          > Scott.

          I have wondered the same, and it was what led me to this group in fact. While it is a terrific sites, there are some maintenance issues (incorrect music links among other things) and some corrections that need to be applied as well on some of the biographies (all verifiable and documented from my end).

          It is frustrating to not be able to find the author/curator of such a valuable resource. My main motivation is due to how information is spread any more. I know that many sections of biographies on my site are directly quoted and spread like wildfire at times, but at least in more than half the cases I am attributed - and yes, I sometimes have to do language conversions to be certain, since it is a worldwide thing.

          But more than anything, when new facts surface that override older ones that may have been put forward by the original subject of the biography (usually birth dates and years, but other factoids as well), I do all I can to reach out to other sites to apply this new information so we are all, in a sense, on the same page with this information. Helpful for researchers, but also even more helpful for overall credibility. Wikipedia is easy enough to tackle, and I have worked on a couple hundred articles there - some of them simply atrocious before I started - and massaged them into something more resembling fact. The Library of Congress is actually easier, and since I have a working relationship with them (I live in the area and research on site), they usually apply my corrections quickly and without question, since I usually send the supporting data.

          So it's not about my information being better than anybody else's - it is not always that way. It's more about making sure there is some universal baseline on each of these composers so facts and numbers agree with each other, which means they agree also with Census and draft records, newspaper articles, birth certificates (which eats up a lot of my research budget), and other bits of corroborative information. I rely on my colleagues at times for verifying my new finds, and either supporting them or proving them less than accurate with a better source. In the end, the information stream keeps improving that way.

          Maybe Scott will see this and hopefully respond in some way. I have not done any extensive searches for him, but also don't know when the last update was. Obviously he (or someone) is paying for yearly domain updates, so there has to be a curator somewhere.

          If I find out, and have permission to do so, I'll post here. Perhaps it will also get changed on his site.

          Finest, Bill E.
        • drjazztb@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 30, 2010
            Yes...where is he anyway? I have problems with some misidentifications of
            many of the players on a good many records that I'd like him to correct. I
            presume a blunder like the one below couldn't be attributed to Scott so
            must assume he delved out the research to someone other than himself:

            Art Hodges rather than the correct name Art Hodes, whom you all know
            otherwise you wouldn't be here. That's just e pluribus unum.

            Love the site though and spend much too much time here.

            --- In _RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com) ,

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 31, 2010
              Good e-mail. I'll be looking forward to what you find out.

              Thanks.

              Ted

              In a message dated 10/31/2010 5:31:58 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
              drjazztb@... writes:

              If I find out, and have permission to do so, I'll post here. Perhaps it
              will also get changed on his site.

            • Leif R. Blom
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 31, 2010
                About Scott, I wrote this for about five (5) years ago to him.
                (scott@...)
                And that was not the first time I wrote, I found a lot of mistakes.
                As I know, their was nothing corrected even then.
                I think he had left the problems to some-one else.

                yarel

                Hello,
                as a member of the Yahoo-mailgroup, it seems to be of little idea to have
                questions about the RHJ-Archive.
                No-one cares and they all bring the problems forward to you; so I´ll mail to you
                directly.
                Now I have a problem with the Jimtown Blues.
                I think the recording of the Stomping Six is the same as the recording of Fatty
                Martin´s.
                They have different protocol-names, but I can hear no difference.
                And there is a mix between Farewell Blues and Snakes Hips at The Georgians. I
                think it will be easily corrected.
                Concerning the Jungle Kings it might be a labelling error. (?)
                Finally I must say I am happy about the Archive, it has really enlarged my
                views.

                greetings

                yarel

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 31, 2010
                  It just occurred to me that someone has to be paying his hosting company
                  to keep the site online. "Follow the money"?

                • patrice.champarou@free.fr
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 1, 2010
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 23, 2011
                      You ever find Scott Alexander?