Mills Hotsy Totsy Gang with Bix

  • silverleafjb
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2010
      Hello, all,
      I was recently listening to this session after a long time of not having heard it. Although it's generally accepted that Bix is one of the cornetists/trumpeters (I concur), the other is generally accepted to be Ray Lodwig.

      My question is - is it an absolute, documented fact the Lodwig is the other horn? I believe the other cornetist might be Red Nichols, based on the outchorus of "Strut Miss Lizzie." That sounds much more like Nichols to me than Bix, who I'm positive is the soloist earlier in the record.

      Part of my conjecture that Nichols is on the session is that I recall Teagarden "thought" that Nichols was on it, and, as I recall, Bix was rooming with Nichols at the time - and likely could have been brought to the session by him.

      Any comments, folks?

      Cheers,
      Chris