Re: [RedHotJazz] Queen of Slap

  • Bob Smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 27, 2010
      Dear Mordechai

      Many thanks for the New Orleans Quartet YouTube of Swanee River.
      It's a pity the double bass was somewhat under-recorded, I could hardly hear it on my Chinese PC speakers, but by feeding the sound into the stereo rig and boosting the bass response I was able to get a very good impression of Annie Hawkins' playing.
      I think it's a very good idea playing YouTubes on this forum, I only hope someone can find some Johnny Dodds and George Lewis footage. However good revivalist jazz will also be welcome.

      Kind Regards

      Bob Smith

    • Robert
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 27, 2010
        Look on You Tube for "Cradle is Rocking (Good print)" for a documentary film on Kid Sheik. Great footage on there of him performing with John Handy, Paul Barnes, Louis Nelson, George Guesnon, and with the Olympia Brass Band.
        Robert Greenwood

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Bob Smith <robert.smith@...> wrote:

        > Dear Mordechai
        >
        > Many thanks for the New Orleans Quartet YouTube of Swanee River.
        > It's a pity the double bass was somewhat under-recorded, I could hardly hear it on my Chinese PC speakers, but by feeding the sound into the stereo rig and boosting the bass response I was able to get a very good impression of Annie Hawkins' playing.
        > I think it's a very good idea playing YouTubes on this forum, I only hope someone can find some Johnny Dodds and George Lewis footage. However good revivalist jazz will also be welcome.
        >
        > Kind Regards
        >
        > Bob Smith

      • Bob Smith
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 3, 2010
          Dear Robert,

          Many thanks for the link to "Cradle Is Rocking (good print)".
          This is a really fascinating glimpse of New Orleans jazz, and especially the ballast needed to play it.
          "Just A Closer Walk With Thee" is one of my favourite tunes, and I think this is partly due to the fact that it can be played at almost any tempo.

          Kind Regards

          Bob Smith

        • Mordechai Litzman
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 13, 2012
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEgUcZDNfto

            Go to 2:53 and enjoy the playing of the best female string bass player in Europe - Annie Hawkins (I think originally from Australia).

            838