Queen of Slap

  • Mordechai Litzman
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 26, 2010
      Here is a version of Swanee River played by the New Orleans Quartet featuring a
      superb extended string bass solo by Annie Hawkins.
      If you like this recording, honk, or at least drop me a line; I need to know if
      the members of the Redhotjazz group appreciate the posting of YouTube jazz
      treasures.
      12037

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZfuQVo5UIU

    • PETER GERLER
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 26, 2010
        Hello Mordechai,

        Many thanks for this link. I do think it is important to post these events. With the so-called death of jazz--esp trad jazz--it's more crucial than ever to spread the news that it ain't dead. The more press, the bigger the news. Keep 'em coming!

        Peter Gerler
        Boston

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 26, 2010
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 26, 2010
            Great Mordechai. Thanks a lot. I keep linking to the other sites available and become totally sidetracked.
            Thanks again, Hans

            To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
            From: pgerler@...
            Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 13:56:27 -0400

          • l.swain@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 26, 2010
              Thanks for that, Mordechai.

              Very enjoyable!

              Gotta spread it around, but how?

              If only there were an effective way to send the video around to young people.

              I was in high school during the early '50s Dixieland revival, and fell in love with the trad jazz that was always playing somewhere on the radio, then saw the terrific bands that were touring in the late '50s at venues like the Savoy Cafe in Boston when I was a college student in Boston, then in Cambridge.

              I was surprised to learn a few years ago about how much young people enjoy this type of music once they have heard it -- but it's very hard for them to find a source.

              I learned it when my son, who throws a July 4th party for a few hundred of his closest friends, had me play (piano) during cocktail hour, and I played trad style from memory.

              To my astonishment and pleasure, a few young people came up to the stage between numbers to tell me how much they enjoyed the music -- they had never heard it before!

              Kids today are inundated with the noise that I am subjected to from the PA when I do the grocery shopping, and they have been told that that screaming and hollering is "music". When I've been forced to listen, I often note that a piece contains only two chords, and I've even been subjected to some that contain only one!

              I cannot see a solution to giving the kids exposure to OKOM.

              Larry Swain

            • Bob Smith
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 27, 2010
                Dear Mordechai

                Many thanks for the New Orleans Quartet YouTube of Swanee River.
                It's a pity the double bass was somewhat under-recorded, I could hardly hear it on my Chinese PC speakers, but by feeding the sound into the stereo rig and boosting the bass response I was able to get a very good impression of Annie Hawkins' playing.
                I think it's a very good idea playing YouTubes on this forum, I only hope someone can find some Johnny Dodds and George Lewis footage. However good revivalist jazz will also be welcome.

                Kind Regards

                Bob Smith

              • Robert
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 27, 2010
                  Look on You Tube for "Cradle is Rocking (Good print)" for a documentary film on Kid Sheik. Great footage on there of him performing with John Handy, Paul Barnes, Louis Nelson, George Guesnon, and with the Olympia Brass Band.
                  Robert Greenwood

                  --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Bob Smith <robert.smith@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Mordechai
                  >
                  > Many thanks for the New Orleans Quartet YouTube of Swanee River.
                  > It's a pity the double bass was somewhat under-recorded, I could hardly hear it on my Chinese PC speakers, but by feeding the sound into the stereo rig and boosting the bass response I was able to get a very good impression of Annie Hawkins' playing.
                  > I think it's a very good idea playing YouTubes on this forum, I only hope someone can find some Johnny Dodds and George Lewis footage. However good revivalist jazz will also be welcome.
                  >
                  > Kind Regards
                  >
                  > Bob Smith

                • Bob Smith
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 3, 2010
                    Dear Robert,

                    Many thanks for the link to "Cradle Is Rocking (good print)".
                    This is a really fascinating glimpse of New Orleans jazz, and especially the ballast needed to play it.
                    "Just A Closer Walk With Thee" is one of my favourite tunes, and I think this is partly due to the fact that it can be played at almost any tempo.

                    Kind Regards

                    Bob Smith

                  • Mordechai Litzman
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 13, 2012
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEgUcZDNfto

                      Go to 2:53 and enjoy the playing of the best female string bass player in Europe - Annie Hawkins (I think originally from Australia).

                      838