Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: String Bass Players

  • fearfeasa
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 15, 2010
      Thanks, Jeff. Great website ! Chouette.

      JT

      Ar 14/08/10 21:09 :58, scríobh jfpitet:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > I'm just plugging in the conversation but if ever you want to read a
      > short biography about Al MORGAN, especially during his stay with Cab
      > Calloway, please visit my website :
      > http://www.thehidehoblog.com/index.php?sujet_id=7092
      >
      > Jeff Pitet
      > thehidehoblog@... <mailto:thehidehoblog%40gmail.com>
      > www.thehidehoblog.com
      >
      > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>, "Randy Skretvedt"
      > <forwardintothepast@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Is Al Morgan playing bass on brother Sam's record of "Steppin' on
      > the Gas"? That has a particularly propulsive bass--it really moves
      > that performance along. So does Steve Brown on Goldkette's "My Pretty
      > Girl" and the earliest take of Paul Whiteman's "From Monday On." (Two
      > later takes substitute a tuba, and they're not nearly as exciting.)

    • Agustin Perez Gasco
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 20, 2010
        Dear list

        Recently, someone in other jazz email list reported that several tracks on discs
        1 & 2 of the Armstrong Decca Mosaic have been transfered at the wrong speed,
        what makes it a difference of up to a half tone.

        As I don't have that boxed set yet, could anybody confirm this?

        (sorry if this has been discussed before or it is common knowledge, but I made a
        quick search through the group's archives and could find anything related)

        Best regards,
        Agustín Pérez
      • silverleafjb
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 29, 2010
          Augustin - It might be useful to know which tracks you think are suspect. For the most part, I've found that Armstrong tending to play tunes in the written key. So anyone with a sheet music collection could confirm the correct key for various pieces.

          Cheers,
          Chris