Re: String Bass Players

  • jfpitet
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 14, 2010
      Hi everyone,

      I'm just plugging in the conversation but if ever you want to read a short biography about Al MORGAN, especially during his stay with Cab Calloway, please visit my website : http://www.thehidehoblog.com/index.php?sujet_id=7092

      Jeff Pitet
      thehidehoblog@...
      www.thehidehoblog.com

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Skretvedt" <forwardintothepast@...> wrote:

      > Is Al Morgan playing bass on brother Sam's record of "Steppin' on the Gas"? That has a particularly propulsive bass--it really moves that performance along. So does Steve Brown on Goldkette's "My Pretty Girl" and the earliest take of Paul Whiteman's "From Monday On." (Two later takes substitute a tuba, and they're not nearly as exciting.)
    • fearfeasa
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 15, 2010
        Thanks, Jeff. Great website ! Chouette.

        JT

        Ar 14/08/10 21:09 :58, scríobh jfpitet:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I'm just plugging in the conversation but if ever you want to read a
        > short biography about Al MORGAN, especially during his stay with Cab
        > Calloway, please visit my website :
        > http://www.thehidehoblog.com/index.php?sujet_id=7092
        >
        > Jeff Pitet
        > thehidehoblog@... <mailto:thehidehoblog%40gmail.com>
        > www.thehidehoblog.com
        >
        > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>, "Randy Skretvedt"
        > <forwardintothepast@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Is Al Morgan playing bass on brother Sam's record of "Steppin' on
        > the Gas"? That has a particularly propulsive bass--it really moves
        > that performance along. So does Steve Brown on Goldkette's "My Pretty
        > Girl" and the earliest take of Paul Whiteman's "From Monday On." (Two
        > later takes substitute a tuba, and they're not nearly as exciting.)

      • Agustin Perez Gasco
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 20, 2010
          Dear list

          Recently, someone in other jazz email list reported that several tracks on discs
          1 & 2 of the Armstrong Decca Mosaic have been transfered at the wrong speed,
          what makes it a difference of up to a half tone.

          As I don't have that boxed set yet, could anybody confirm this?

          (sorry if this has been discussed before or it is common knowledge, but I made a
          quick search through the group's archives and could find anything related)

          Best regards,
          Agustín Pérez
        • silverleafjb
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 29, 2010
            Augustin - It might be useful to know which tracks you think are suspect. For the most part, I've found that Armstrong tending to play tunes in the written key. So anyone with a sheet music collection could confirm the correct key for various pieces.

            Cheers,
            Chris