Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: String Bass Players

  • fearfeasa
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 13, 2010
      No, that's Sidney Brown.

      JT

      Ar 13/08/10 19:37 :06, scríobh Randy Skretvedt:

      > Is Al Morgan playing bass on brother Sam's record of "Steppin' on the
      > Gas"? That has a particularly propulsive bass--it really moves that
      > performance along. So does Steve Brown on Goldkette's "My Pretty Girl"
      > and the earliest take of Paul Whiteman's "From Monday On." (Two later
      > takes substitute a tuba, and they're not nearly as exciting.)
      >
      > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>, "hans.eekhoff" <oriole@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Al Morgan was indeed superb - just look and listen to the last tune
      > of this film!
      > >
      > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEoTwTYnc6g
      > >
      > > Hans Eekhoff
      > >

      > > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>, fearfeasa <fearfeasa@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Cab Calloway's bass player : Al Morgan from NO, brother of Sam, Ike
      > > > and Andrew.
      > > >
      > > > JT
      > > >
      > > > Ar 13/08/10 04:08 :21, scríobh ory1886:

      > really nice
      > Mutt's

      > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>

      > players of
      > Brown.
      > "Doctor
      > are up

    • jfpitet
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 14, 2010
        Hi everyone,

        I'm just plugging in the conversation but if ever you want to read a short biography about Al MORGAN, especially during his stay with Cab Calloway, please visit my website : http://www.thehidehoblog.com/index.php?sujet_id=7092

        Jeff Pitet
        thehidehoblog@...
        www.thehidehoblog.com

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 15, 2010
          Thanks, Jeff. Great website ! Chouette.

          JT

          Ar 14/08/10 21:09 :58, scríobh jfpitet:

          > Hi everyone,
          >
          > I'm just plugging in the conversation but if ever you want to read a
          > short biography about Al MORGAN, especially during his stay with Cab
          > Calloway, please visit my website :
          > http://www.thehidehoblog.com/index.php?sujet_id=7092
          >
          > Jeff Pitet
          > thehidehoblog@... <mailto:thehidehoblog%40gmail.com>
          > www.thehidehoblog.com
          >
          > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>, "Randy Skretvedt"
          > <forwardintothepast@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Is Al Morgan playing bass on brother Sam's record of "Steppin' on
          > the Gas"? That has a particularly propulsive bass--it really moves
          > that performance along. So does Steve Brown on Goldkette's "My Pretty
          > Girl" and the earliest take of Paul Whiteman's "From Monday On." (Two
          > later takes substitute a tuba, and they're not nearly as exciting.)

        • Agustin Perez Gasco
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 20, 2010
            Dear list

            Recently, someone in other jazz email list reported that several tracks on discs
            1 & 2 of the Armstrong Decca Mosaic have been transfered at the wrong speed,
            what makes it a difference of up to a half tone.

            As I don't have that boxed set yet, could anybody confirm this?

            (sorry if this has been discussed before or it is common knowledge, but I made a
            quick search through the group's archives and could find anything related)

            Best regards,
            Agustín Pérez
          • silverleafjb
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 29, 2010
              Augustin - It might be useful to know which tracks you think are suspect. For the most part, I've found that Armstrong tending to play tunes in the written key. So anyone with a sheet music collection could confirm the correct key for various pieces.

              Cheers,
              Chris