Re: String Bass Players

  • hans.eekhoff
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 13 10:04 AM
      Al Morgan was indeed superb - just look and listen to the last tune of this film!

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEoTwTYnc6g

      Hans Eekhoff

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, fearfeasa <fearfeasa@...> wrote:

      > Cab Calloway's bass player : Al Morgan from NO, brother of Sam, Ike
      > and Andrew.
      >
      > JT
      >
      > Ar 13/08/10 04:08 :21, scríobh ory1886:
      > >
      > > You may want to give Ed Garland a listen. He recorded some really nice
      > > stuff with Ory in the forties, including a pretty bowed solo on Mutt's
      > > Blues.
      > >
      > > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
      > > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>, reid1947@ wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Hi All,
      > > > Not long ago someone (my apologies) remarked on string bass players of
      > > > distinction and named John Lindsay from the Peppers and Steve Brown.
      > > > I have been listening to my 3mp player all this week, and I would
      > > like to
      > > > add, in my opinion, 3 more notables.
      > > > The bass player with Cab Calloway (I have been working away, so I
      > > haven't
      > > > had a chance to check out his name.) on "Aw You Dog"; the track
      > > without the
      > > > dog bark at the end.
      > > > "Pops" Foster with The Luis Russell Orchestra, especially on "Doctor
      > > Blues"
      > > > and "Give Me Your Telephone Number".(What a superb band. They are up
      > > there
      > > > with the Peppers.)
      > > > Walter Page on "Honeysuckle Rose" from Benny's 1938 Carnegie Hall
      > > concert.
      > > > I'm working on a few more.
      > > >
      > > > Peter L.

    • Randy Skretvedt
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 13 11:37 AM
        Is Al Morgan playing bass on brother Sam's record of "Steppin' on the Gas"? That has a particularly propulsive bass--it really moves that performance along. So does Steve Brown on Goldkette's "My Pretty Girl" and the earliest take of Paul Whiteman's "From Monday On." (Two later takes substitute a tuba, and they're not nearly as exciting.)

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "hans.eekhoff" <oriole@...> wrote:

        > Al Morgan was indeed superb - just look and listen to the last tune of this film!
        >
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEoTwTYnc6g
        >
        > Hans Eekhoff
        >

        > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, fearfeasa <fearfeasa@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Cab Calloway's bass player : Al Morgan from NO, brother of Sam, Ike
        > > and Andrew.
        > >
        > > JT
        > >
        > > Ar 13/08/10 04:08 :21, scríobh ory1886:
        > > >
        > > > You may want to give Ed Garland a listen. He recorded some really nice
        > > > stuff with Ory in the forties, including a pretty bowed solo on Mutt's
        > > > Blues.
        > > >
        > > > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com

        > > > like to
        > > > haven't
        > > > without the
        > > > Blues"
        > > > there
        > > > concert.

      • fearfeasa
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 13 2:29 PM
          No, that's Sidney Brown.

          JT

          Ar 13/08/10 19:37 :06, scríobh Randy Skretvedt:

          > Is Al Morgan playing bass on brother Sam's record of "Steppin' on the
          > Gas"? That has a particularly propulsive bass--it really moves that
          > performance along. So does Steve Brown on Goldkette's "My Pretty Girl"
          > and the earliest take of Paul Whiteman's "From Monday On." (Two later
          > takes substitute a tuba, and they're not nearly as exciting.)
          >
          > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>, "hans.eekhoff" <oriole@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Al Morgan was indeed superb - just look and listen to the last tune
          > of this film!
          > >
          > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEoTwTYnc6g
          > >
          > > Hans Eekhoff
          > >

          > > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>, fearfeasa <fearfeasa@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Cab Calloway's bass player : Al Morgan from NO, brother of Sam, Ike
          > > > and Andrew.
          > > >
          > > > JT
          > > >
          > > > Ar 13/08/10 04:08 :21, scríobh ory1886:

          > really nice
          > Mutt's

          > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>

          > players of
          > Brown.
          > "Doctor
          > are up

        • jfpitet
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 14 1:09 PM
            Hi everyone,

            I'm just plugging in the conversation but if ever you want to read a short biography about Al MORGAN, especially during his stay with Cab Calloway, please visit my website : http://www.thehidehoblog.com/index.php?sujet_id=7092

            Jeff Pitet
            thehidehoblog@...
            www.thehidehoblog.com

            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 15 5:04 PM
              Thanks, Jeff. Great website ! Chouette.

              JT

              Ar 14/08/10 21:09 :58, scríobh jfpitet:

              > Hi everyone,
              >
              > I'm just plugging in the conversation but if ever you want to read a
              > short biography about Al MORGAN, especially during his stay with Cab
              > Calloway, please visit my website :
              > http://www.thehidehoblog.com/index.php?sujet_id=7092
              >
              > Jeff Pitet
              > thehidehoblog@... <mailto:thehidehoblog%40gmail.com>
              > www.thehidehoblog.com
              >
              > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>, "Randy Skretvedt"
              > <forwardintothepast@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Is Al Morgan playing bass on brother Sam's record of "Steppin' on
              > the Gas"? That has a particularly propulsive bass--it really moves
              > that performance along. So does Steve Brown on Goldkette's "My Pretty
              > Girl" and the earliest take of Paul Whiteman's "From Monday On." (Two
              > later takes substitute a tuba, and they're not nearly as exciting.)

            • Agustin Perez Gasco
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 20 12:51 AM
                Dear list

                Recently, someone in other jazz email list reported that several tracks on discs
                1 & 2 of the Armstrong Decca Mosaic have been transfered at the wrong speed,
                what makes it a difference of up to a half tone.

                As I don't have that boxed set yet, could anybody confirm this?

                (sorry if this has been discussed before or it is common knowledge, but I made a
                quick search through the group's archives and could find anything related)

                Best regards,
                Agustín Pérez
              • silverleafjb
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 29 10:03 PM
                  Augustin - It might be useful to know which tracks you think are suspect. For the most part, I've found that Armstrong tending to play tunes in the written key. So anyone with a sheet music collection could confirm the correct key for various pieces.

                  Cheers,
                  Chris