Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: String Bass Players

  • fearfeasa
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 13, 2010
      Cab Calloway's bass player : Al Morgan from NO, brother of Sam, Ike
      and Andrew.

      JT

      Ar 13/08/10 04:08 :21, scríobh ory1886:

      > You may want to give Ed Garland a listen. He recorded some really nice
      > stuff with Ory in the forties, including a pretty bowed solo on Mutt's
      > Blues.
      >
      > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>, reid1947@... wrote:
      > >

      > > Hi All,
      > > Not long ago someone (my apologies) remarked on string bass players of
      > > distinction and named John Lindsay from the Peppers and Steve Brown.
      > > I have been listening to my 3mp player all this week, and I would
      > like to
      > > add, in my opinion, 3 more notables.
      > > The bass player with Cab Calloway (I have been working away, so I
      > haven't
      > > had a chance to check out his name.) on "Aw You Dog"; the track
      > without the
      > > dog bark at the end.
      > > "Pops" Foster with The Luis Russell Orchestra, especially on "Doctor
      > Blues"
      > > and "Give Me Your Telephone Number".(What a superb band. They are up
      > there
      > > with the Peppers.)
      > > Walter Page on "Honeysuckle Rose" from Benny's 1938 Carnegie Hall
      > concert.
      > > I'm working on a few more.
      > >
      > > Peter L.

    • hans.eekhoff
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 13, 2010
        Al Morgan was indeed superb - just look and listen to the last tune of this film!

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEoTwTYnc6g

        Hans Eekhoff

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, fearfeasa <fearfeasa@...> wrote:

        > Cab Calloway's bass player : Al Morgan from NO, brother of Sam, Ike
        > and Andrew.
        >
        > JT
        >
        > Ar 13/08/10 04:08 :21, scríobh ory1886:
        > >
        > > You may want to give Ed Garland a listen. He recorded some really nice
        > > stuff with Ory in the forties, including a pretty bowed solo on Mutt's
        > > Blues.
        > >
        > > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
        > > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>, reid1947@ wrote:
        > > >

        > > > Hi All,
        > > > Not long ago someone (my apologies) remarked on string bass players of
        > > > distinction and named John Lindsay from the Peppers and Steve Brown.
        > > > I have been listening to my 3mp player all this week, and I would
        > > like to
        > > > add, in my opinion, 3 more notables.
        > > > The bass player with Cab Calloway (I have been working away, so I
        > > haven't
        > > > had a chance to check out his name.) on "Aw You Dog"; the track
        > > without the
        > > > dog bark at the end.
        > > > "Pops" Foster with The Luis Russell Orchestra, especially on "Doctor
        > > Blues"
        > > > and "Give Me Your Telephone Number".(What a superb band. They are up
        > > there
        > > > with the Peppers.)
        > > > Walter Page on "Honeysuckle Rose" from Benny's 1938 Carnegie Hall
        > > concert.
        > > > I'm working on a few more.
        > > >
        > > > Peter L.

      • Randy Skretvedt
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 13, 2010
          Is Al Morgan playing bass on brother Sam's record of "Steppin' on the Gas"? That has a particularly propulsive bass--it really moves that performance along. So does Steve Brown on Goldkette's "My Pretty Girl" and the earliest take of Paul Whiteman's "From Monday On." (Two later takes substitute a tuba, and they're not nearly as exciting.)

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "hans.eekhoff" <oriole@...> wrote:

          > Al Morgan was indeed superb - just look and listen to the last tune of this film!
          >
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEoTwTYnc6g
          >
          > Hans Eekhoff
          >

          > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, fearfeasa <fearfeasa@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Cab Calloway's bass player : Al Morgan from NO, brother of Sam, Ike
          > > and Andrew.
          > >
          > > JT
          > >
          > > Ar 13/08/10 04:08 :21, scríobh ory1886:
          > > >
          > > > You may want to give Ed Garland a listen. He recorded some really nice
          > > > stuff with Ory in the forties, including a pretty bowed solo on Mutt's
          > > > Blues.
          > > >
          > > > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com

          > > > like to
          > > > haven't
          > > > without the
          > > > Blues"
          > > > there
          > > > concert.

        • fearfeasa
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 13, 2010
            No, that's Sidney Brown.

            JT

            Ar 13/08/10 19:37 :06, scríobh Randy Skretvedt:

            > Is Al Morgan playing bass on brother Sam's record of "Steppin' on the
            > Gas"? That has a particularly propulsive bass--it really moves that
            > performance along. So does Steve Brown on Goldkette's "My Pretty Girl"
            > and the earliest take of Paul Whiteman's "From Monday On." (Two later
            > takes substitute a tuba, and they're not nearly as exciting.)
            >
            > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>, "hans.eekhoff" <oriole@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Al Morgan was indeed superb - just look and listen to the last tune
            > of this film!
            > >
            > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEoTwTYnc6g
            > >
            > > Hans Eekhoff
            > >

            > > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>, fearfeasa <fearfeasa@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Cab Calloway's bass player : Al Morgan from NO, brother of Sam, Ike
            > > > and Andrew.
            > > >
            > > > JT
            > > >
            > > > Ar 13/08/10 04:08 :21, scríobh ory1886:

            > really nice
            > Mutt's

            > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>

            > players of
            > Brown.
            > "Doctor
            > are up

          • jfpitet
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 14, 2010
              Hi everyone,

              I'm just plugging in the conversation but if ever you want to read a short biography about Al MORGAN, especially during his stay with Cab Calloway, please visit my website : http://www.thehidehoblog.com/index.php?sujet_id=7092

              Jeff Pitet
              thehidehoblog@...
              www.thehidehoblog.com

              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 15, 2010
                Thanks, Jeff. Great website ! Chouette.

                JT

                Ar 14/08/10 21:09 :58, scríobh jfpitet:

                > Hi everyone,
                >
                > I'm just plugging in the conversation but if ever you want to read a
                > short biography about Al MORGAN, especially during his stay with Cab
                > Calloway, please visit my website :
                > http://www.thehidehoblog.com/index.php?sujet_id=7092
                >
                > Jeff Pitet
                > thehidehoblog@... <mailto:thehidehoblog%40gmail.com>
                > www.thehidehoblog.com
                >
                > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>, "Randy Skretvedt"
                > <forwardintothepast@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Is Al Morgan playing bass on brother Sam's record of "Steppin' on
                > the Gas"? That has a particularly propulsive bass--it really moves
                > that performance along. So does Steve Brown on Goldkette's "My Pretty
                > Girl" and the earliest take of Paul Whiteman's "From Monday On." (Two
                > later takes substitute a tuba, and they're not nearly as exciting.)

              • Agustin Perez Gasco
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 20, 2010
                  Dear list

                  Recently, someone in other jazz email list reported that several tracks on discs
                  1 & 2 of the Armstrong Decca Mosaic have been transfered at the wrong speed,
                  what makes it a difference of up to a half tone.

                  As I don't have that boxed set yet, could anybody confirm this?

                  (sorry if this has been discussed before or it is common knowledge, but I made a
                  quick search through the group's archives and could find anything related)

                  Best regards,
                  Agustín Pérez
                • silverleafjb
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 29, 2010
                    Augustin - It might be useful to know which tracks you think are suspect. For the most part, I've found that Armstrong tending to play tunes in the written key. So anyone with a sheet music collection could confirm the correct key for various pieces.

                    Cheers,
                    Chris