RedHotJazz in Ubuntu

  • m.
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2010
      Hello All,

      Haven't been here for quite a while. I got some good advice here back then about playing the .ram files at Scott Alexander's incredible Red Hot Jazz Archive via my Linux (Ubuntu 10.04 (lucid) OS.

      At the time I was (and since have been, using subsequent Ubuntu releases) able to play the .rams with Mozilla Mplayer and RealPlayer 8 (Legacy).

      Now I seem to be S.O.L. Mozilla Mplayer seems to be a thing of the past and RealPlayer 8 doesn't work.

      Can anyone offer any suggestions?

      Thanks in Advance,

      mike
    • Bart J Helms
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 30, 2010
        Mike,

        There's a .deb for an official RealPlayer 11:
        http://www.real.com/realplayer/linux

        But in an odd twist, this seems to be based on the open-source Helix
        project: https://player.helixcommunity.org/

        I don't use either personally.

        Bart

      • Mordechai Litzman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 30, 2010
          Don't know about different operating systems, but I have good luck with
          something called Real Alternative which is a Real player without any annoying
          ads or pop-ups. Works well on Windows.
          Just google Real Alternative and install their free media player.

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 10, 2010
            What you need is real player 8 for linux that supports the old format and it will play most of the redhotjazz.com files as I recall if nothing changed since then. The installer file was rp8_linux20_libc6_i386_cs1.bin thats what I had long ago and probably it can be found somewhere on the net, and maybe you'll need old libraries to install it or something. I don't know whether it is installable on modern ubuntu in a strict way, maybe the ubuntu itself has realplayer8 extention but somehow the 11 don't support older versions. I used the real player 8 on other than ubuntu linux distributions and I don't know what the situation for ubuntu I only know the 8 worked for me back then.

            Tommer