RE: [RedHotJazz] String Bass Players

  • don higgins
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 2, 2010
      all this fue frawh.....the best playing i have EVER heard is steve browns work on goldkettes "my pretty girl # 2". who among you has better???? he was a very early player and if he played like that @ 15 yrs old he surley paved the way.

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 12, 2010
        You may want to give Ed Garland a listen. He recorded some really nice stuff with Ory in the forties, including a pretty bowed solo on Mutt's Blues.

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, reid1947@... wrote:

        > Hi All,
        > Not long ago someone (my apologies) remarked on string bass players of
        > distinction and named John Lindsay from the Peppers and Steve Brown.
        > I have been listening to my 3mp player all this week, and I would like to
        > add, in my opinion, 3 more notables.
        > The bass player with Cab Calloway (I have been working away, so I haven't
        > had a chance to check out his name.) on "Aw You Dog"; the track without the
        > dog bark at the end.
        > "Pops" Foster with The Luis Russell Orchestra, especially on "Doctor Blues"
        > and "Give Me Your Telephone Number".(What a superb band. They are up there
        > with the Peppers.)
        > Walter Page on "Honeysuckle Rose" from Benny's 1938 Carnegie Hall concert.
        > I'm working on a few more.
        >
        > Peter L.

      • fearfeasa
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 13, 2010
          Cab Calloway's bass player : Al Morgan from NO, brother of Sam, Ike
          and Andrew.

          JT

          Ar 13/08/10 04:08 :21, scríobh ory1886:

          > You may want to give Ed Garland a listen. He recorded some really nice
          > stuff with Ory in the forties, including a pretty bowed solo on Mutt's
          > Blues.
          >
          > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>, reid1947@... wrote:
          > >

          > > Hi All,
          > > Not long ago someone (my apologies) remarked on string bass players of
          > > distinction and named John Lindsay from the Peppers and Steve Brown.
          > > I have been listening to my 3mp player all this week, and I would
          > like to
          > > add, in my opinion, 3 more notables.
          > > The bass player with Cab Calloway (I have been working away, so I
          > haven't
          > > had a chance to check out his name.) on "Aw You Dog"; the track
          > without the
          > > dog bark at the end.
          > > "Pops" Foster with The Luis Russell Orchestra, especially on "Doctor
          > Blues"
          > > and "Give Me Your Telephone Number".(What a superb band. They are up
          > there
          > > with the Peppers.)
          > > Walter Page on "Honeysuckle Rose" from Benny's 1938 Carnegie Hall
          > concert.
          > > I'm working on a few more.
          > >
          > > Peter L.

        • hans.eekhoff
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 13, 2010
            Al Morgan was indeed superb - just look and listen to the last tune of this film!

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEoTwTYnc6g

            Hans Eekhoff

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, fearfeasa <fearfeasa@...> wrote:

            > Cab Calloway's bass player : Al Morgan from NO, brother of Sam, Ike
            > and Andrew.
            >
            > JT
            >
            > Ar 13/08/10 04:08 :21, scríobh ory1886:
            > >
            > > You may want to give Ed Garland a listen. He recorded some really nice
            > > stuff with Ory in the forties, including a pretty bowed solo on Mutt's
            > > Blues.
            > >
            > > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
            > > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>, reid1947@ wrote:
            > > >

            > > > Hi All,
            > > > Not long ago someone (my apologies) remarked on string bass players of
            > > > distinction and named John Lindsay from the Peppers and Steve Brown.
            > > > I have been listening to my 3mp player all this week, and I would
            > > like to
            > > > add, in my opinion, 3 more notables.
            > > > The bass player with Cab Calloway (I have been working away, so I
            > > haven't
            > > > had a chance to check out his name.) on "Aw You Dog"; the track
            > > without the
            > > > dog bark at the end.
            > > > "Pops" Foster with The Luis Russell Orchestra, especially on "Doctor
            > > Blues"
            > > > and "Give Me Your Telephone Number".(What a superb band. They are up
            > > there
            > > > with the Peppers.)
            > > > Walter Page on "Honeysuckle Rose" from Benny's 1938 Carnegie Hall
            > > concert.
            > > > I'm working on a few more.
            > > >
            > > > Peter L.

          • Randy Skretvedt
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 13, 2010
              Is Al Morgan playing bass on brother Sam's record of "Steppin' on the Gas"? That has a particularly propulsive bass--it really moves that performance along. So does Steve Brown on Goldkette's "My Pretty Girl" and the earliest take of Paul Whiteman's "From Monday On." (Two later takes substitute a tuba, and they're not nearly as exciting.)

              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "hans.eekhoff" <oriole@...> wrote:

              > Al Morgan was indeed superb - just look and listen to the last tune of this film!
              >
              > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEoTwTYnc6g
              >
              > Hans Eekhoff
              >

              > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, fearfeasa <fearfeasa@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Cab Calloway's bass player : Al Morgan from NO, brother of Sam, Ike
              > > and Andrew.
              > >
              > > JT
              > >
              > > Ar 13/08/10 04:08 :21, scríobh ory1886:
              > > >
              > > > You may want to give Ed Garland a listen. He recorded some really nice
              > > > stuff with Ory in the forties, including a pretty bowed solo on Mutt's
              > > > Blues.
              > > >
              > > > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com

              > > > like to
              > > > haven't
              > > > without the
              > > > Blues"
              > > > there
              > > > concert.

            • fearfeasa
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 13, 2010
                No, that's Sidney Brown.

                JT

                Ar 13/08/10 19:37 :06, scríobh Randy Skretvedt:

                > Is Al Morgan playing bass on brother Sam's record of "Steppin' on the
                > Gas"? That has a particularly propulsive bass--it really moves that
                > performance along. So does Steve Brown on Goldkette's "My Pretty Girl"
                > and the earliest take of Paul Whiteman's "From Monday On." (Two later
                > takes substitute a tuba, and they're not nearly as exciting.)
                >
                > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>, "hans.eekhoff" <oriole@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Al Morgan was indeed superb - just look and listen to the last tune
                > of this film!
                > >
                > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEoTwTYnc6g
                > >
                > > Hans Eekhoff
                > >

                > > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>, fearfeasa <fearfeasa@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Cab Calloway's bass player : Al Morgan from NO, brother of Sam, Ike
                > > > and Andrew.
                > > >
                > > > JT
                > > >
                > > > Ar 13/08/10 04:08 :21, scríobh ory1886:

                > really nice
                > Mutt's

                > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>

                > players of
                > Brown.
                > "Doctor
                > are up

              • jfpitet
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 14, 2010
                  Hi everyone,

                  I'm just plugging in the conversation but if ever you want to read a short biography about Al MORGAN, especially during his stay with Cab Calloway, please visit my website : http://www.thehidehoblog.com/index.php?sujet_id=7092

                  Jeff Pitet
                  thehidehoblog@...
                  www.thehidehoblog.com

                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 15, 2010
                    Thanks, Jeff. Great website ! Chouette.

                    JT

                    Ar 14/08/10 21:09 :58, scríobh jfpitet:

                    > Hi everyone,
                    >
                    > I'm just plugging in the conversation but if ever you want to read a
                    > short biography about Al MORGAN, especially during his stay with Cab
                    > Calloway, please visit my website :
                    > http://www.thehidehoblog.com/index.php?sujet_id=7092
                    >
                    > Jeff Pitet
                    > thehidehoblog@... <mailto:thehidehoblog%40gmail.com>
                    > www.thehidehoblog.com
                    >
                    > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com
                    > <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>, "Randy Skretvedt"
                    > <forwardintothepast@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Is Al Morgan playing bass on brother Sam's record of "Steppin' on
                    > the Gas"? That has a particularly propulsive bass--it really moves
                    > that performance along. So does Steve Brown on Goldkette's "My Pretty
                    > Girl" and the earliest take of Paul Whiteman's "From Monday On." (Two
                    > later takes substitute a tuba, and they're not nearly as exciting.)

                  • Agustin Perez Gasco
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 20, 2010
                      Dear list

                      Recently, someone in other jazz email list reported that several tracks on discs
                      1 & 2 of the Armstrong Decca Mosaic have been transfered at the wrong speed,
                      what makes it a difference of up to a half tone.

                      As I don't have that boxed set yet, could anybody confirm this?

                      (sorry if this has been discussed before or it is common knowledge, but I made a
                      quick search through the group's archives and could find anything related)

                      Best regards,
                      Agustín Pérez
                    • silverleafjb
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 29, 2010
                        Augustin - It might be useful to know which tracks you think are suspect. For the most part, I've found that Armstrong tending to play tunes in the written key. So anyone with a sheet music collection could confirm the correct key for various pieces.

                        Cheers,
                        Chris